Smoking a fatless brisket today, should I top it with pork fat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilohertz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Vernon, BC Canada
I'm smoking a thin fatless brisket that I bought from my neighbor when he butchered this past month, he didn't leave any fat cap on it and there is minimal fat at the point. I cut off most of the flat as it was too much for just today's meal, it was 4 lbs, probably 2.5-3 lbs now. I just picked up some pure pork fat for my sausage making and was wondering if I should place some small pieces on top? I am also using SmokinAl SmokinAl method of pan braising, maybe that will be enough to keep it moist.

Your thoughts?

Cheers

IMG_5264.jpeg

If you can spare some fat to put on top it can't hurt. Its really gonna depend it the meat has good marbling if it will be tender in my opinion. If its too lean, i don't think the fat put on the outside will really do too much.

Again, my opinion
Corey

Reactions: kilohertz
I think you'll be fine with your plan. The only suggestion I would make - is to put it on a wire rack in that pan so it's sitting just above the juices, and not in the juices.

Chris

Realized I put the fat in the freezer already so that plan is out.

I wondered about using a rack as well but I read several times where Al says he puts it right in the liquid. I stuck a rack under it for now to get some color on the bottom as well. It's just hit 116*, long ways to go.

Cheers

If you chuck it in a foil pan with some liquid (broth, beer, etc.) and cover with foil at the stall and continue cooking until probe tender, you will have some pretty good eats. The bark does get mushy doing it this way though.

I noticed your in BC. I'll personally drop it off in the winter AND cook for ya every night if I can crash on your couch to heli-board BC's huge mountains! I've been all over the USA on some big mountains heli-boarding.

Realized I put the fat in the freezer already so that plan is out.

I wondered about using a rack as well but I read several times where Al says he puts it right in the liquid. I stuck a rack under it for now to get some color on the bottom as well. It's just hit 116*, long ways to go.

Cheers
I think you'll be ok. I would drop it in the liquid after you get our brown/bark going and follow the rest of Al's method from that point. Should all be good :D

It's 165* now and looks good, I'm happy with the color. I just put it in the broth and will start basting every half hour, then foil cover it at 180, pull it at 200* or probe tender and let it rest for a while. Fingers crossed.

Thanks!

IMG_5265.JPG

It's 165* now and looks good, I'm happy with the color. I just put it in the broth and will start basting every half hour, then foil cover it at 180, pull it at 200* or probe tender and let it rest for a while. Fingers crossed.

Thanks!

View attachment 672026

Looking good. Don't fear leaving it until probe tender. You could even flip it over in the liquid at that point too if needed :)

It's done!

I pulled it off the smoker at 170* and put it in the oven for the last hour at 350* and pulled it at 200*, turned out perfect, moist and tasty. It absorbed all the liquid, or it boiled off. Either way, was very good and a little leftover to send home with my son and his gf. Potato salad was a hit as well.

Going to ask my neighbor to leave some fat on the next few cows he butchers.

Cheers

IMG_5268.JPG

IMG_5269.jpeg

Last edited:
It's done!

I pulled it off the smoker at 170* and put it in the oven for the last hour at 350* and pulled it at 200*, turned out perfect, moist and tasty. It absorbed all the liquid, or it boiled off. Either way, was very good and a little leftover to send home with my son and his gf. Potato salad was a hit as well.

Going to ask my neighbor to leave some fat on the next few cows he butchers.

Cheers

View attachment 672048

View attachment 672049
That looks fantastic!

A recommendation about the beef fat. Ask him to save it for you andyou can make sausage and tallow with it :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky