First Brisket goes on the Traeger tonight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well there is still time to bring the daughter back into the dark side of meat eating! They great looking brisket might be the beginning of her path.

Jim

Thanks everyone. I must say this brisket was much easier than I thought it was going to be. Between this site, videos from Matt at Meat church and Mad Scientist BBQ I was able to gain a lot of knowledge before even starting to trim the packer on Friday.

It was actually pretty easy and painless.

Thanks everyone 👍🏻👍🏻🍺🍺🫡🫡🤝🤝✌️✌️

Pics to follow after dinner tonight when we slice it up and go onto a meat coma

Last edited:
Reactions: babydocsmoker
Yeah we might have sliced wrong but it was still yummy. So far we have only ate off the flat.

Attachments

• 71426332834__1C84DBF6-938B-41B4-8E16-344DBA1A2907.jpeg
    71426332834__1C84DBF6-938B-41B4-8E16-344DBA1A2907.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6908.jpeg
    IMG_6908.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 42
Brisket leftovers tonight for dinner, 1 cup of beef broth in a pan then sealed in foil at 325 for about an hour. Dayum tasty but the bark was a bit soft / washed out. I think we are gonna make burnt ends tomorrow

Reactions: Fat Old Guy
Going after our first brisket tonight.

Trimmed and seasoned last night, got a good portion of the hard fat out of it and trimmed the fat cap best we could. Really did not need a lot of shaping as we had seen in a bunch of the how to trim videos. We thought our knives were fairly sharp but trimming the brisket told us that we need to sharpen on get a sharper knife. Our set is from Pampered Chef.

Aiming for around 7pm tonight and let it smoke until we get up in the morning and go from there to see when to wrap. Probably go fat side up so the fat melts into the brisket. The advise seems to be 50/50 on fat up or down with valid reasons for both. I have apple in the hopper right now from our last pork tenderloins, so I will empty that out and load with maybe a combo of oak and hickory. I have read and watched videos that Cherry would be a good add but I do not have any at the moment so we shall just see how it goes.

Probably go around 200 F for the overnight and increase in the morning depending on the IT. Wrap it in butcher paper and finish it off tomorrow.

Pics of the brisket in the fridge are attached. Sorry still in the cling wrap so not the best of pictures.

Guessing is 14 to 15 lbs still. Yeah we went big for our first. Yay????

We seasoned with ST Elmo’s

View attachment 673924
I like to marinade my seasoning for at least 12 hours! This looks great!

Reactions: Smoking Audi
Thanks everyone. I must say this brisket was much easier than I thought it was going to be. Between this site, videos from Matt at Meat church and Mad Scientist BBQ I was able to gain a lot of knowledge before even starting to trim the packer on Friday.

It was actually pretty easy and painless.

Thanks everyone 👍🏻👍🏻🍺🍺🫡🫡🤝🤝✌️✌️

Pics to follow after dinner tonight when we slice it up and go onto a meat coma
Yeah doing some good homework really helps.
Also indaswamp indaswamp came in clutch giving you maybe the most important info you needed before pulling it.

A brisket is never done by time or temp. Only when it is tender.
It is tender by stabbing all over with something like a kabob skewer (I use wooden ones) and getting no resistance.
Finally, the Flat is always the problem and usually the thickest yet center most portion of the Flat muscle is where it gets tender last. The point will just about never give you a problem with tenderness.
Also, I noticed your meat probe was in the flat. Next time move it towards the thickest, center-most portion of the flat for a more reliable'ish temp reading.

People usually fail briskets because of rushing and pulling them too early. You found out that it is pretty easy if you just give it the time and let it do it's thing :D

Great work man, it looks excellent!

Reactions: Smoking Audi
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky