1st brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pellet user

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 12, 2017
I have been smoking on a pellet grill for almost 10 years. Dozens of rib and pulled pork cooks. This year I decided to make my own smoker https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/offset-pellet-combo-build.321198/
I have done several chicken cooks and some ribs as well as pulled pork. This weekend I decided to go out and get my first brisket. Sam’s club had a single prime 18lb brisket. Made my choice easy on that. Trimmed it up and put it back in the fridge. Froze 4.5 lbs of fat and a little more than a pound of meat. Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. The lighter color is 4 hours and the darker is 6. Trying to hold 250-275 on temp until I get the color I think looks good. I will then try the foil boat method until done.
Once cooked completely, depending upon feel I will wrap and hold in a cooler until tomorrow afternoon. I will probably have to check temperature to see that I won’t go below 140 for safety. If it gets close I might have to put it in the oven to warm it back up.

11 hours and the brisket was jiggling. Wrapped in butcher paper and holding for tomorrow. Trying to post video but it doesn’t work.

Well it looks great but it is overdone in my opinion. Has a faint pot roast flavor going on. The point holds together for the brisket flop, but the flat does not. Still good, but it can be better.

Attachments

• IMG_6533.jpeg
    IMG_6533.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6535.jpeg
    IMG_6535.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6536.jpeg
    IMG_6536.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6537.jpeg
    IMG_6537.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6542.jpeg
    IMG_6542.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6544.jpeg
    IMG_6544.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6545.jpeg
    IMG_6545.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
. I will probably have to check temperature to see that I won’t go below 140 for safety. If it gets close I might have to put it in the oven to warm it back up.
I've held mine in the oven , wrapped in pink paper . Therm inserted . When the temp drops below 170 , I start the oven until I see the IT start to climb . Then I shut the oven off . Start and stop as needed . I set the oven to 170 , or more at first if it needs fast recovery .
Your color will improve , get darker over this time in my experience .

I've held mine in the oven , wrapped in pink paper . Therm inserted . When the temp drops below 170 , I start the oven until I see the IT start to climb . Then I shut the oven off . Start and stop as needed . I set the oven to 170 , or more at first if it needs fast recovery .
That is a good idea 👍 Thank you for the advice.

My second Brisket is on today and I am trying this. Great Idea!

Reactions: pellet user
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky