• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dbpbuckley

Original poster
Aug 27, 2021
I just got my first meat grinder and brisket happened to be on sale this week. I picked up 9 pound brisket.
how should I go about about grinding this up? Should I trim some fat off. And if I were to leave it whole what would the ratio be?
What spices should I add to the ground burger?

any tried and true rectilinear out there?

I trim any nasty fat and stuff I don't want to eat . Strip it out and grind it . Pretty much prep just like I was going to smoke it whole .

Reactions: tallbm
I just got my first meat grinder and brisket happened to be on sale this week. I picked up 9 pound brisket.
how should I go about about grinding this up? Should I trim some fat off. And if I were to leave it whole what would the ratio be?

Hi there and welcome! What chopsaw chopsaw said plus I would remove the "deckle" fat. Look that up for sure, it's pointless to try and grind that.

Briskets are basically 80/20.
If you have too much good fat that you DON"T want to grind in then I would suggest you trim it and grind it separate for adding into sausages later. In TX we add beef or beef fat to sausages for great stuff.

Finally I wouldn't season the meat before storing. I would only defrost and season and eat.
For seasoning when making a burger I highly recommend Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic (SPOG) and you will have an amazing burger.

Long story short, remove the deckle fat (look it up) and grind everything else :)

Reactions: chopsaw
The hard fat won't cook in the time a burger sees heat so it's all got to go, so split the flat from the point and discard it.
Most folks add fat from other cuts like chuck, otherwise you can't get to 80/20.

It all depends on what you like . Most people I know clean it up like the were going to smoke it whole grind it all . Removing the deckle is in my opinion of cleaning it up . I don't add any other fat . Great just like it is .

1630275788064.jpeg

Hi there and welcome! What chopsaw chopsaw said plus I would remove the "deckle" fat. Look that up for sure, it's pointless to try and grind that.

Briskets are basically 80/20.
If you have too much good fat that you DON"T want to grind in then I would suggest you trim it and grind it separate for adding into sausages later. In TX we add beef or beef fat to sausages for great stuff.

Finally I wouldn't season the meat before storing. I would only defrost and season and eat.
For seasoning when making a burger I highly recommend Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic (SPOG) and you will have an amazing burger.

Long story short, remove the deckle fat (look it up) and grind everything else :)
Thanks for the info.
I was think I would have to form the patties prior to freezing.

so can I leave portions of the grinded Brisket in 1 or 2 pound packs and defrost and form when needed.

Thanks for the info.
I was think I would have to form the patties prior to freezing.

so can I leave portions of the grinded Brisket in 1 or 2 pound packs and defrost and form when needed.

Yeah. I do just this and defrost and make patties and season at will.
Or defrost and make sausage, or meat loaf, or taco meat, etc. etc. :)

Also avoid using hog rings to seal the bags just buy the tape bag sealing "machine" a roll of tape and never look back. Hog rings are for the birds! :D

Hopefully you have a dedicated stuffer. If so then this is a cake walk.
You just grind in the grinder then load in the stuffer and stuff into 1-2 pound ground meat. Then use the tape machine to seal the bags and freeze. It's like clockwork!
The 1 pound meat baggies are like these at Academy, but you know... for beef:

I'd love to find someone that wanted to split a variety case of 1000. I have a case of wild game bags but would honestly like some beef and pork bags OR if I could find some reasonably priced plain white bags with no print I would take about 500 of those and do like another member who uses different color bag sealing tape and a marker to easily indicate beef/pork/venison between them :)

I hope this helps you out :)

Reactions: Gonna Smoke

As others have said, remove the deckle fat and discard. I wouldn't add any seasoning to the burger after you grind it, it can be seasoned when you cook it. If you want to know real close what the ratio is, remove all the fat and weigh the lean and the fat separately. Make it whatever ratio you prefer, it's easy to do at home. Any extra fat can be ground or frozen whole to be used for other things such as sausage or mixed in with venison burger.

Yeah. I do just this and defrost and make patties and season at will.
Or defrost and make sausage, or meat loaf, or taco meat, etc. etc. :)

Also avoid using hog rings to seal the bags just buy the tape bag sealing "machine" a roll of tape and never look back. Hog rings are for the birds! :D

Hopefully you have a dedicated stuffer. If so then this is a cake walk.
You just grind in the grinder then load in the stuffer and stuff into 1-2 pound ground meat. Then use the tape machine to seal the bags and freeze. It's like clockwork!
The 1 pound meat baggies are like these at Academy, but you know... for beef:

I'd love to find someone that wanted to split a variety case of 1000. I have a case of wild game bags but would honestly like some beef and pork bags OR if I could find some reasonably priced plain white bags with no print I would take about 500 of those and do like another member who uses different color bag sealing tape and a marker to easily indicate beef/pork/venison between them :)

I hope this helps you out :)

Well I did some looking and found 1000 pack of Clear 2 pound E-Z Pak Poly Meat bags on Ebay for $34 and free shipping! The 2 pound meat bags are like 4-5 inches longer than the 1 pounders but same width so gives me some options to go 1 or 2 pounds if I like. Having options is the stuff of life :)

Yep I ordered a box haha. 5 more left and the guy even has the "make an offer" link enabled so you could pay less then he is asking.

I looked up and every E-Z Pak poly bag I could find was the standard 2-mil in thickness so I believe these are too.
Now off to buy a rainbow pack of bag meat tape so I can be like the cool meat processing kids on here that use the color of the tape and a marker for labeling to distinguish all their ground meat bags from one another in the freezer :D
(only 8 colors not 10 in the image, but that's fine)

Do you have the tape machine thing ?
Oh yeah. I have a LEM one that came with my LEM sausage stuffing kit I bought many years ago. That tape machine is a life saver compared to using hog rings. I wouldn't do meat bagging any other way than with the tape machine!
I have this one in white but any brand will work as they are all the same hunk of metal in the end lol:

A local butcher had a brisket/rib eye/ chuck combo burger mix and they were awesome. I am going to have a custom mix of this along with their smoked bacon and onion made next week.

That's cool . I use twist ties from bread bags , but always thought about the tape .

That has to be good . I did sirloin trim with brisket once . Pretty good too .
Smells so good when it hits a hot flat top .
Oh yeah man, it's a super time saver and easy to use.
If I had to buy one I would get this one since they are all basically the same hunk of metal with different branding stickers that only increase the price lol:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky