Brisket Baby w/ pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

masonman1345

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Orangefield Texas
Gave her a good rub down with olive oil and seasoned. MES 40 is getting to temp. Stay tuned this is gonna be fun
I'm starting with a whole brisket trimmed. Weight 10.37 lbs.

Attachments

• 20210205_210501.jpg
    20210205_210501.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 22
Not sure what happened lost temp sometime overnight had MES 40 time set and temp set at 250. Seems like I lost heat . My IT is only at 57 degrees. Outside temp is 50 degrees. Any suggestions? Is the low IT going to cause any problems

What was the highest IT you achieved?
Not sure. I went to bed and was letting it do its thing overnight. I put it in at 11pm last night and ran it for 30 minutes at 250 then sent the smoke to it. When I woke up at 8amsmoker was still on but lost my heat. I have never list heat in my smoker. Brisket is cold to the touch.

Generally want to get the IT to 140 in under 4hrs to kill off bacteria for the duration of a long smoke. Not sure what advice to give you since you don't know what you actually got to except get you a good wireless probe setup that has a high low temp alarm that will alert you if temp in smoker drops. If you are gonna sleep it's a necessity. As far as safety goes I say keep cooking and wait for chef jimmyj chef jimmyj to chime in on the safety aspect

The brisket is an intact piece of meat so the inside is mostly sterile unless you inject. The idea of 140 in 4 hours is to kill surface bacteria. With that said spoilage can occur in the smoker environment that's possibly been room temp for 10-11hrs. Alot of unknowns with your cook

Last edited:
Not sure what happened lost temp sometime overnight had MES 40 time set and temp set at 250. Seems like I lost heat . My IT is only at 57 degrees. Outside temp is 50 degrees. Any suggestions? Is the low IT going to cause any problems
I thought my Masterbuilt had broke a couple of years ago and didn't set the time for long enough when I went to bed. When I figured it out the Masterbuilt won't get any temp if it doesn't have time on the guage. Soon as I put a couple of hours on the timer it heated right up. Could this be it?

Reactions: masonman1345
I thought my Masterbuilt had broke a couple of years ago and didn't set the time for long enough when I went to bed. When I figured it out the Masterbuilt won't get any temp if it doesn't have time on the guage. Soon as I put a couple of hours on the timer it heated right up. Could this be it?
No I set the time for 12 hours when I checked this morning still just over 2 hours left on timer

The meat was Rubbed with Salt+, 50°F is not in the rapid growth temp range of 70-100. If your smoker was on for at least 30 minutes, the surface bacteria are dead. No mention of Injection, so I'd finish the cook...JJ

The meat was Rubbed with Salt+, 50°F is not in the rapid growth temp range of 70-100. If your smoker was on for at least 30 minutes, the surface bacteria are dead. No mention of Injection, so I'd finish the cook...JJ
Thank you for replying. I have figured out one thing the smoker is only getting to around 76 degrees. It may have never got over that in the past 11 hours. Smoker says it is heating but temp not climbing

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky