Need advice how to thicken pit beans.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BC Buck

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
MO
Love trying different recipes. Added to much liquid and will be a little to thin when rib will be finished. Can I add some corn starch?

All depends on how much to watery they are. Just a bit over you can mash them just a bit with a potato masher and let them cook this will thicken them up. If way more water, I would scoop some out much the same as de-fatting broth, simply remove some liquid, I’d still mash them just a bit though, but TJM.

Reactions: BC Buck
You could but it will definitely change them a bit. Would you happen to have any potato flakes (instant mashed style)?
Always try to keep them in house. Thats something will try next time. Thanks

Id likely just drain off some of the extra liquid and save it . That liquid mixed with some ground beef would make a nice sloppy joe like result. I'm all about repurposing food and leftovers lol

I know this is post cook , but some ideas for next time .
As mentioned the instant potato flakes is a good way .
I like masa harina for certain things . It will add corn flavor to the dish though . I use it in chile if it's to thin .
I keep potato starch around for sausage making , but it's a great thickener . Only takes a small amount .
Can I add some corn starch?
If I were going to use a starch to thicken , I would get some of the liquid out of the pan / pot , and allow it to cool . Then add whichever starch to that , mix it up and add it back to the dish , while mixing or stirring the dish . If you have BBQ sauce in your beans , you could also use that to add the starch in .
Don't get to heavy handed with it .

Also mentioned , just remove some of the liquid .

Mashing the beans works great . If I'm using canned beans , I normally keep some to the side in the beginning . So if I need to mash some up , I have some whole beans to replace them .

How did they come out ?

I like masa harina for certain things . It will add corn flavor to the dish though . I use it in chile if it's to thin .
I keep potato starch around for sausage making , but it's a great thickener . Only takes a small amount .

If I were going to use a starch to thicken , I would get some of the liquid out of the pan / pot , and allow it to cool . Then add whichever starch to that , mix it up and add it back to the dish , while mixing or stirring the dish . If you have BBQ sauce in your beans , you could also use that to add the starch in .

Mashing the beans works great . If I'm using canned beans , I normally keep some to the side in the beginning . So if I need to mash some up , I have some whole beans to replace them .

How did they come out ?
Ended up mashing beans and kicking up temp while ribs where wrapped in foil. I am going to do like you suggest and next time leave 1/3 can aside incase need mashing. Thanks.

Reactions: chopsaw

How did they come out ?
Thumbs up on the masa harina! I'll use finely ground corn meal as well if I have enough time to simmer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky