Brine time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No. But it depends on what the salt concentration is and what you are expecting.
3/4 cup salt per gallon of water, thyme, rosemary, garlic and a little bit of pineapple juice. Not trying to get tons of flavor, just not s dry turkey.

I can tell you what I recently learned on a practice run a few weeks ago.
Check the % of solution in your Turkey some come with as much as 8% max. The current Turkey I have is only 4% max. I suggest Kosher salt and from my experience only brine about 1 hour per pound. I brined a 10# turkey for 24 hours that was up to 8% solution already and it was just a bit too salty but we ate the entire turkey. So I'm going to only brine about 12 hours this round with that 4% fresh turkey I plan to cook.
I think your posted brine recipe looks good. That should give you a good result. I'll basically use the same brine but I'm going to use 100% pure apple juice but Pineapple actually sounds tasty!
I'm fixing to prepare my brine now.
Let us know how your bird turns out?

20 hours should not be an issue. The salt you used was not too high. I have brined with a 1/2C M. Kosher in a gallon water for 72 hours with no saltiness or mushy meat issues...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky