Breakfast Links~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think I'll get some sheep casing from Syracuse Casting and try them in that........

There is a small learning curve with natural as well as a casing as small as sheep.
Make sure and allow them to set over night in a bowl of water after separating.
Get a good end cut before trying to get that first edge of casing on the tube.
Don't lose your patience, some sheep casings just will not load, maybe 1 out of 15 and its frustrating. As soon as you realize you've got that one and start with another piece, you'll laugh at yourself for trying to load the bastard for so long.
I catch a small air bubble at the tip makes loading a lot easier also.
Really nothing to it if your eye glasses are current..>.LOL

Good luck, I really do like 'em better I hope you'll see what I see.

Kevin.... How old is that pan ??? Was it out of a refrigerator or something similar?? Baked enamel finish... must be worth something to the Smithsonian .....

397799-ac94cf4dcb055e573c17cd0fa1a6a084.jpg

Kevin.... How old is that pan ??? Was it out of a refrigerator or something similar?? Baked enamel finish... must be worth something to the Smithsonian .....

397799-ac94cf4dcb055e573c17cd0fa1a6a084.jpg

LOL..... you'd be amazed at the accumulated wealth of precious junk here. There is so much, it is like Christmas everyday. Finding new stuff, oddities & the old junk. Oddly enough folks will stop by more than occasionally wanting to know if I'd like to sell something. I swear I am not a hoarder! Yesterday I found a whole chicken pressure fryer complete and functional. Drop one whole cleaned chicken in, tighten the lid, apply the weight and let it fry. Never seen one before but I have one! Kinda scares me to think sooner or later ya know I will have to try it.

I feel like Fred Sanford!! That tray fits under not only the nozzle/tube but also slides easily under the retaining nut. None of the other good trays do that.

And the above tray, its multi-functional. It came off a stove (I loved that stove), it was flipped over and covered the burners on an old O'Keefe & Merritt stove. That way the stove could act as an additional counter top, and when picked up functioned as a handy dandy tray.

That pressure fryer, I think, is a home version of the commercial fryer used by Bars etc. for doing broasted chicken... I read up on those years ago... The moisture in the chicken makes the pressure increase...
https://www.hennypenny.com/products/frying/pressure-fryers/

Ok Dave, here's a couple a pictures.........

IMG_9865.JPG

IMG_9864.JPG

IMG_9866.JPG

And I found this tonight.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~tomorkim/images/WeareverChickenBucket.pdf

The pictures don't show scale well. The cooker could just about hold one whole fryer and that's about it.

I can just imagine Col. Sanders packing one of these around under arm pulling into gas stations begging for distributors. I know its nothing like that, but it still brings a smile to my face.

I know I will have to try this sucker! Maybe in the back yard though. LOL

Reactions: bdskelly
Broasted chicken is the best stuff since anything... Start small and go for it...
When I was younger, there were 2 local places that made and sold it.. I was a regular at least once a week... They also did Jo-Jo's ... Whole spuds sliced lengthwise into 6's or 8's... Great way to have a spud...
The chickens were pieced into legs, thighs, breasts and wings... I think they added the chicken parts at different times, due to cooking times... don't know... each place kept their recipe for seasoning and cooking times etc. a secret...
My one go to place, and favorite, Betty, would season and roll in some special "flour" mix and set in the cooler, unwrapped, for at least 24 hours before she would broast the bird... The crust was awesome... She also insisted on Draper Valley chickens... Betty sold her place and I went into withdrawl for months...

I was looking for recipes and cookers...
I found these recipes... Maybe they will help out ???

Broasted Chicken
1 fryer chicken
4 cups (1 L), 1/2 cup (125 ml), and 1/4 cup (60 ml) water, separated
1/4 cup (60 ml) and 1/2 tsp (10 ml) salt, separated
1 Tbsp (15 ml) Cajun seasoning (see below)
2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
1/2 tsp (5 ml) ground black pepper
1 cup (250 ml) canola oil
1/2 cup (125 ml) cornstarch
1-1/4 cup (315 ml) coating mix (see below)
Cajun Seasoning
2 tsp (10 ml) salt
2 tsp (10 ml) garlic powder
2.5 tsp (12.5 ml) paprika
1 tsp (5 ml) ground black pepper
1 tsp (5 ml) onion powder
1 tsp (5 ml) cayenne pepper
1.25 tsp(6.25 ml) dried oregano
1.25 tsp (6.25 ml) dried thyme
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) red pepper flakes
Seasoned Fry Mix
1 cup (250 ml) all purpose flour
1 Tbsp (15 ml) salt
1 Tbsp (15 ml) ground black pepper
1/2 Tbsp (7.5 ml) dried thyme
1/2 Tbsp (7.5 ml) dried tarragon
1/2 Tbsp (7.5 ml) ground ginger
1/2 Tbsp (7.5 ml) ground mustard
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) garlic salt
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) dried oregano

Kevin... I have the same problem.. my wife calls it "JUNK".. get rid of it.. I explain.. "honey, It's not junk.. it's "INVENTORY"

I was looking for recipes and cookers...
I found these recipes... Maybe they will help out ???

Thanks Dave....

I remember at one time grocery stores selling 4 sizes of chicken, 22 weeks or less were sold as game hens, the the roosters were sold as fryers, of course you'd bake an old hen, but between a hen and a rooster was occassionally a bird called a broaster. It was tender/juicy as a game hen and as large as an old hen. I have not seen one in a long time but I did live them especially to grill on the pit! They were huge and tender..... I wonder what happened to them?

Kevin... I have the same problem.. my wife calls it "JUNK".. get rid of it.. I explain.. "honey, It's not junk.. it's "INVENTORY"

LOL... I could open an antique and junk store! I have 100 year old furniture that has been refinished and Old metal restaurant crab baskets to front grill assemblies for a '31 model A, and it just goes on and on.

Thanks Dave....

I remember at one time grocery stores selling 4 sizes of chicken, 22 weeks or less were sold as game hens, the the roosters were sold as fryers, of course you'd bake an old hen, but between a hen and a rooster was occassionally a bird called a broaster. It was tender/juicy as a game hen and as large as an old hen. I have not seen one in a long time but I did live them especially to grill on the pit! They were huge and tender..... I wonder what happened to them?

How things change Foamy those Cornish game hens are raised in 6 weeks and Purdue does still sell a roaster which are also great for deep frying.

Warren

How things change Foamy those Cornish game hens are raised in 6 weeks and Purdue does still sell a roaster which are also great for deep frying.

Warren

I could never get but 1/2 a Broaster in the skillet at a time. Even the high sided chicken fryer, was just too much chicken there. The breasts were huge!

Ok Dave, here's a couple a pictures.........

View attachment 398269

View attachment 398270

View attachment 398271

And I found this tonight.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~tomorkim/images/WeareverChickenBucket.pdf

The pictures don't show scale well. The cooker could just about hold one whole fryer and that's about it.

I can just imagine Col. Sanders packing one of these around under arm pulling into gas stations begging for distributors. I know its nothing like that, but it still brings a smile to my face.

I know I will have to try this sucker! Maybe in the back yard though. LOL
is that an instapot?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky