Breakfast Links~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Yesterday, Monday, I wanted some eggs and sausage for breakfast. I like breakfast links and I like my breakfast links. I sure thought I had some. After digging thru the new freezers finding old ham and andouille (used them yesterday for supper) and NOT finding any sausage links.... Well you know what had to happen today.

First, remember those ham chunks and andouille I mentioned. Yesterday was red beans and rice Monday in coon-ass land!

IMG_9849.JPG

This chucks of homemade Easter left overs I made and smoked. I had the cable guys here re-stringing cable from the twister Thursday and they kept commenting on the aroma. LOL

Anyway Today I made sausage links.I used Pop's recipe
1/3C Canning salt
1/4C Sage ( I only had ground)
1/4C Pepper

Then one Tbsp per pound. That was 4 pounds. I noticed a sizable difference in the sage too. Generally I use rubbed sage, this was ground and had been here since Thanksgiving so it wasn't too old but it just lacked the smell. So I added more after tasting the sample patty.

You can add anything you want and it just doesn't get any better IMHO.

IMG_9856.JPG

65 links, and believe it or not my meat to casing ratio was perfect. I did not cut the casing once! No holes, no blow outs, no air pockets..... I just can't imagine whats wrong. I'll let it rest in the reefer overnight and dry a little then cut 'em and vac-seal 'em tomorrow. I put usually 6 to a package, you can always thaw more than on package!

Taste outstanding! Could have used a bit more fat. I Even got the bag of extra pork fat cap and threw some in and its still a bit dry. The secret to breakfast sausage is fat!

Anyhow.... I made sausage and it is good, Thanks Mr Fassett for teaching us all.

Good looking stuff right there... nice job...

I also am a big fan of Pop's B'fast sausage... I cut back on the salt a little and add a lil more sage ...

Looks great . I just made some end of May . 5 lbs half gone . I use TSM pre mixes , but want to try Pop's for sure .

Do you use collagen or sheep casing to stuff.....if collagen, what method do you use to get the length?.....I have been using collagen and using a sharp knife to get the length....

Good looking stuff right there... nice job...

I also am a big fan of Pop's B'fast sausage... I cut back on the salt a little and add a lil more sage ...

Thanks Keith.

OK salt, I use canning salt which fine ground and it actually should be measured by weight vice volume. And the 1/3C is slightly more than a half of Pop's recipe. The sage, I had to add more because I was outy of my usually "rubbed sage" I find it has a much greater aroma that traditional ground or even freshh sage.

These need more fat. I found that a greater ratio than I would use for anything else is the way I like breakfast sausage. Its always the last thing made and gets extra fat I guess...LOL

Do you use collagen or sheep casing to stuff.....if collagen, what method do you use to get the length?.....I have been using collagen and using a sharp knife to get the length....

I only use natural. I have 6 or 8 tubes of collagen, been here forever, I keep saying I am going to try them but...... As easy as natural are to use, and they always taste better from all the sausage I have tried, I love that snap when you bite into them, trying collagen is a pretty low priority. You don't need to cut the casing. Stuff 'em, twist 'em, chill 'em overnite, then in a cryopac. The reefer chill dehydrates also, That way you don't have casing slippage while cooking.

Its just the way I do it. I have seen folks double tie each like or even use hog rings. Just seems a lot of extract work to me. One bubblehead to another.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky