Blackstone Griddle - To buy or not to buy.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I got a 36" Blackstone hardtop for Christmas - even got the natural gas conversion as I already have that on my deck. And I agree with most others - if not space constrained, you'll be surprised at how quickly you can come up with things to fill the empty spaces (yes that was a Pink Floyd reference).

Good luck!

Reactions: JC in GB
Here are 2 pictures after building it which was super easy IMO, and 1 of seasoning.

Screenshot_20230117_084604_Gallery.jpg

The grease drain on the left goes down to a bucket under it. Its about the size of the bucket on a Pellet Pooper.

Screenshot_20230117_084509_Gallery.jpg

The caster wheels as huge and can be adjusted to level it out if needed.

Screenshot_20230117_084527_Gallery.jpg

So far very happy with it. But like I said I was very happy with my blackstone too.

I was shopping in my local hardware store and came upon a display of Blackstone griddles.
I didn't realize there were so many flavors of this unit. Well, now that I have seen one up close, I am contemplating just how much I need one.

I know that there are a number of Blackstone owners on the forum. Can you give me any pros, cons, or things I should be aware of with different sizes of these bad boyz when considering a purchase?

Thanks for any help....

JC :emoji_cat:
I own one I purchased at a great price. But it has only been used 2 times in a year, unless you are planning on cooking a lot all the time I am not sure they are worth it. Just my thoughts

I own one I purchased at a great price. But it has only been used 2 times in a year, unless you are planning on cooking a lot all the time I am not sure they are worth it. Just my thoughts

Thanks for the input. I do most of the cooking at my house so I don't see lack of use a problem in my case. :emoji_laughing:

Right now, I am kind of debating what size I need. I am leaning toward the 28" but they have the 36" on sale for the 28" price.....

If you have the room , that's a done deal .
I used mine last night . Becoming my favorite way to cook authentic style brats .

I love my indoor gas range but I see myself retreating to the garage more and more to cook on this cook top.

Reactions: chopsaw
I love my indoor gas range but I see myself retreating to the garage more and more to cook on this cook top.
I use mine way more in the garage than I did when it was on the patio . I had some brats last night that were sent to me by another member . Eggs and cracker meal in the mix .
Brown 'em up , then steam under a lid . Just a great way to do the more authentic sausages that aren't full of fat .
The thing I think makes the biggest difference , is that the grease drains away from your food . On the stove top in a pan , the grease stays with the food .

Agreed if money and space aren't an issue then the 36 is the way to go. Even if you use half of it as a warming area its worth it.

One other thing... As for the initial seasoning... DO NOT use bacon grease As it as salt and nitritates/nitrites (whichever one it is) in it... And use VERY thin/even coats (4/5 coats)...

Seasoning Video

I was shopping in my local hardware store and came upon a display of Blackstone griddles.
I didn't realize there were so many flavors of this unit. Well, now that I have seen one up close, I am contemplating just how much I need one.

I know that there are a number of Blackstone owners on the forum. Can you give me any pros, cons, or things I should be aware of with different sizes of these bad boyz when considering a purchase?

Thanks for any help....

my wife got a steal on a 17" unit for Christmas for me. I love it, but if doing over would have spent the money on a bigger unit.
17" is good for two, but that' IMG-4250.jpg about it. she also bought the stand, which costs more than he griddle. The key is getting the thing level so grease doesnt puddle on the low sides. We use it regularly for smash burgers, sausage and pancakes once.

The key is getting the thing level so grease doesnt puddle on the low sides.
I found the best way to level, grade, slope or whatever you want to call it is to not mess around with the entire unit but to just shim the griddle itself with some flat washers. This works extremely well on a sloped patio and can be adjusted for garage use as well.
20230117_130614.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic.. I gotta get to work..

Bought a 36" 6 -8 years ago and sent it home with my son 2 years ago,grandkids quit coming over as often and i had bought a smaller 1 with a teflon surface, got the urge for another 1 and picked up a 17" , I love it,works ery well for up to 3 people. but it's mostly the wife and I, my range hood is vented outside so i am bad about setting it on my gas range lol. Ventilation is the key to staying safe , I will keep 1 from now on.

4 MFers that can finish concrete. 😂

Any four rednecks with a case or two of PBR can finish concrete. The hard part is finding one with the tamp, float, fresno, poles and trowels and keeping them all sober enough to wait for it to set correctly. :emoji_laughing:
I know plenty of MFers with the tools believe me haha. And yes better get an "early" start to keep them sober enough for the initial set. LMFAO! Timing is everything. Especially getting that truck from the plant. The stories I could tell.

A Blackstone compliments a smoker very nicely. Smoke your steaks until about 105 internal and then reverse sear! I have the 36” with the factory lid and wouldn’t consider one without it. I personally don’t ever see myself buying another grill.

• Love
Thanks all for the input. So, I went to the dealer and looked at the griddles. I am leaning heavily toward the 28". My remaining questions are. Is the hood worth getting? Does it assist in cooking or just as a cover? Also, the 28" model is pretty short. What is a good way to raise the frame up?

Thanks for your help. It has been quite valuable.

the 28" model is pretty short. What is a good way to raise the frame up?
I agree . I wish mine was taller , but really hasn't been an issue for me while cooking . I did add some aftermarket casters to my pellet grill . I was thinking about doing that with my Blackstone , but would have to mod something up . I'm around 6'0" .

I agree . I wish mine was taller , but really hasn't been an issue for me while cooking . I did add some aftermarket casters to my pellet grill . I was thinking about doing that with my Blackstone , but would have to mod something up . I'm around 6'0" .

Thanks for the input. If I get the griddle, I may just cut and weld new wheels on the frame to raise it up and ease in rolling it around.

The more I look into this flat top griddle, the more I am convinced I need one. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky