Griddle Purchase

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mendozer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Seattle, WA
Looking to get a gas griddle to add to the outdoor setup. I don't actually like the Blackstone because I will set this into an outdoor kitchen counter so the rear grease trap sounds awful. I've been looking at the Camp Chef FTG600 as older models could double as a grill (although I have a pellet smoker and am looking into a Kamado so that will be my grill) and looks more robust...or the Blue Rhino Razor...or the pit boss but I don't want the nonstick griddle. I don't mind cast iron seasoning. I'm in Seattle so all winter I'll have to season the metal well or cook on it often to prevent the moisture from destroying it but I don't trust these ceramic coatings, plus I hate using plastic tools.
I'd buy a blackstone in an instant due to aftermarket support but I can't ever see myself pushing grease towards the back. Any input?

The other option was buying a cheap gas grill new or used and a Little Griddle or similar. Then it would be stainless which actually would be my preferred metal for the griddle but no one puts that out new. But then I'd have to deal potentially with harder aftermarket support as these grills are cranked out and tube burners/deflectors tend to go away after 10 yrs. I even thought about a kitchen gas cooktop and get Steelmade to make me one for it because they're griddles are awesome, plus gives me the option to use a burner for a pot for basting sauces

Looking to get a gas griddle to add to the outdoor setup. I don't actually like the Blackstone because I will set this into an outdoor kitchen counter so the rear grease trap sounds awful. I've been looking at the Camp Chef FTG600 as older models could double as a grill (although I have a pellet smoker and am looking into a Kamado so that will be my grill) and looks more robust...or the Blue Rhino Razor...or the pit boss but I don't want the nonstick griddle. I don't mind cast iron seasoning. I'm in Seattle so all winter I'll have to season the metal well or cook on it often to prevent the moisture from destroying it but I don't trust these ceramic coatings, plus I hate using plastic tools.
I'd buy a blackstone in an instant due to aftermarket support but I can't ever see myself pushing grease towards the back. Any input?

The other option was buying a cheap gas grill new or used and a Little Griddle or similar. Then it would be stainless which actually would be my preferred metal for the griddle but no one puts that out new. But then I'd have to deal potentially with harder aftermarket support as these grills are cranked out and tube burners/deflectors tend to go away after 10 yrs. I even thought about a kitchen gas cooktop and get Steelmade to make me one for it because they're griddles are awesome, plus gives me the option to use a burner for a pot for basting sauces
I love the Blackstone but I can see the issue you have as a built in. Have you looked at the weber griddle?

Reactions: BigW.
I have a blackstone in my outdoor kitchen and I love it. The grease trap is in the back but I keep a small foil pan back there and change it out often. All I have to do is pull the grill forward a little and change the pan. Good luck with your build.

IMG_2744.png

Here is a close up of the grease trap.
IMG_2745.png

Fred

I have a blackstone in my outdoor kitchen and I love it. The grease trap is in the back but I keep a small foil pan back there and change it out often. All I have to do is pull the grill forward a little and change the pan. Good luck with your build.

View attachment 665201
Here is a close up of the grease trap.
View attachment 665202
Fred
yeah I love my blackstone in PA way better than the camp chef front trap I have here in NY, but neither of mine are a built in unit.

I was planning on removing the actual griddle unit from the cart whichever i buy. it will sit on a sunken portion of the countertop so the cooking surface is even with the counter. That way i can have an enclosed cabinet underneath. It'll be hard plumbed to house propane so tanks don't factor in here. So that's really why i wanted the front trap, no wheeling out needed. The camp chef has a major flaw to me being the tiny hole for the grease. Pit boss and Blue rhino (and char griller) did a good job with a large square. One youtube vide i just saw the guys cut a slot and made a huge side ramp in the back for the camp chef. I'd buy that in a heartbeat

Reactions: clifish
and i did see the weber but it seems pricey for what you get compared to others. i wish i could buy the pit boss with the old cast iron griddle

I was planning on removing the actual griddle unit from the cart whichever i buy. it will sit on a sunken portion of the countertop so the cooking surface is even with the counter. That way i can have an enclosed cabinet underneath. It'll be hard plumbed to house propane so tanks don't factor in here. So that's really why i wanted the front trap, no wheeling out needed. The camp chef has a major flaw to me being the tiny hole for the grease. Pit boss and Blue rhino (and char griller) did a good job with a large square. One youtube vide i just saw the guys cut a slot and made a huge side ramp in the back for the camp chef. I'd buy that in a heartbeat
yes, I hate that little hole on the camp chef. You also need to remove the container or grease pan as rain water will fill it up. I have not seen the pit boss or chargriller ones in person (or the weber)

I have had the camp chef for years. The tiny grease trap hole sucks. I constantly have to have something to poke through it if it clogs. All in all though it is a solid unit and has never done me wrong. Stays outside year round under a cover and always cranks first pop. One day when I have more money than I know what to do with I might buy one of the newer blackstones.

I have had the camp chef for years. The tiny grease trap hole sucks. I constantly have to have something to poke through it if it clogs. All in all though it is a solid unit and has never done me wrong. Stays outside year round under a cover and always cranks first pop. One day when I have more money than I know what to do with I might buy one of the newer blackstones.
I will agree with that, mine is outside uncovered (only an after market hard cover) year round and other than the side handle rusting off, the unit has been solid.

and i did see the weber but it seems pricey for what you get compared to others. i wish i could buy the pit boss with the old cast iron griddle
I would love to see a Weber in person. The Weber warranty is also better than BS.

my concern would be availability to get parts. The only thing I'd have to worry about are knobs and burners. I also saw an Even Embers 5 burner griddle it's 20x40 and only 379 with a lid. But....nothing is that cheap without serious compromise in materials. If these were standard parts like grill burners then I wouldn't mind as much. I still think about the used grill option (have a line on a JennAir 36" then get a Steelmade put on. I'd probably have to remove the flame tamers to get direct flame on the cast iron

I had the CC and ended up selling it. I didn’t like the grease trap in front like I thought I would. The cooling surface seemed rougher than the blackstone and made it a little harder to clean. I will be buying a blackstone once we move

Reactions: Butt Smoke
I actually like the members mark from what I've seen. I'm in Washington and all the Sams clubs closed down a couple years ago here. I can't get it shipped either apparently. As for the CC if it was cheaper by about $200 i would just buy it and weld up a better grease trap. It's too pricey at $600 for such a tiny trap. I like what I see for the flat ones that have the horizontal hole in the surface itself. I don't like how some have the trap below the actual border of the griddle frame (like a bucket below) as I'm going to be using it off the stand. So I kind of need it to be like the pit boss or blue rhino where it's embedded in the frame

The NExgrill Daytona looks nice with the 4 grease slots but again the removable tray is below the frame. worse case i can put the legs off and have it sit a few inches above

Not sure what u you our budget is but there are many commercial grade brands available as well. I think the Advantco line has a front slide out clean out tray.

i just looked at the Nexgrill at home depot today. The steel was rough, which I'm sure would condition well. I don't mind the 4 grease holes but again the collection is beneath the frame. The Even Embers one (which is $100 less than nexgrill) was surprisingly well built. The lid was beefier, steel top was smoother, etc. Both are electronic ignition. And....it's the biggest griddle right now at 20x40. Maybe that's overkill I don't know. The perimeter frame does not have wind slots on the sides or rear but the bottom is open. However setting that on the counter would close that off so I'd have to drill holes or something. The grease tube goes below as well which means a hole in the counter, then the grease bucket would be my cabinet.
The Member's Mark has a new 5 burner griddle for 399 with a central grease trap which would allow flush counter mount. I just chatted with member's mark customer service and they warranty parts for 5 years but have a 10 year return policy including shipping since no sam's club in my state. that's a huge plus right there. I am suspicious about the BTUs bc the previous generaton 4 burner was 60k btu and the new 5 burner is 47500 btus. Comes with a hinged lid which I love but why weaker burners? Maybe the btu output isn't really needed? The Even embers one is 60k as is the Nexgrll and many others like BS, Blue Rhino etc. curious as to why it's lower.
FWIW the Nexgrill and Even Embers ones have nothing underneath the griddle top unlike Blackstone which has angle iron tack welded on to prevent warping. I assume that after the first several heatings things would even out as metal typically does, but if it didn't, I can always tack weld on support brackets too so I don't really care about that. Pit Boss doesn't seem to want to ship plain cast iron anymore and forces their ceramic griddles and they're over $500 so seems like a lose for me despite the fact that I love the look of theirs. So....decisions decisions.

i just looked at the Nexgrill at home depot today. The steel was rough, which I'm sure would condition well. I don't mind the 4 grease holes but again the collection is beneath the frame. The Even Embers one (which is $100 less than nexgrill) was surprisingly well built. The lid was beefier, steel top was smoother, etc. Both are electronic ignition. And....it's the biggest griddle right now at 20x40. Maybe that's overkill I don't know. The perimeter frame does not have wind slots on the sides or rear but the bottom is open. However setting that on the counter would close that off so I'd have to drill holes or something. The grease tube goes below as well which means a hole in the counter, then the grease bucket would be my cabinet.
The Member's Mark has a new 5 burner griddle for 399 with a central grease trap which would allow flush counter mount. I just chatted with member's mark customer service and they warranty parts for 5 years but have a 10 year return policy including shipping since no sam's club in my state. that's a huge plus right there. I am suspicious about the BTUs bc the previous generaton 4 burner was 60k btu and the new 5 burner is 47500 btus. Comes with a hinged lid which I love but why weaker burners? Maybe the btu output isn't really needed? The Even embers one is 60k as is the Nexgrll and many others like BS, Blue Rhino etc. curious as to why it's lower.
FWIW the Nexgrill and Even Embers ones have nothing underneath the griddle top unlike Blackstone which has angle iron tack welded on to prevent warping. I assume that after the first several heatings things would even out as metal typically does, but if it didn't, I can always tack weld on support brackets too so I don't really care about that. Pit Boss doesn't seem to want to ship plain cast iron anymore and forces their ceramic griddles and they're over $500 so seems like a lose for me despite the fact that I love the look of theirs. So....decisions decisions.
Sounds like you have it narrowed down to your liking.

You can judge the relevance of this but I've been surprised how infrequently I clean the grease tray. I line it with foil and it doesn't get too gross in there. But I'm usually only cooking for one. You'll use a iot of paper towels however

I got the Member's Mark pro 5 burner griddle. Parents have Sams Club in another state and their membership had free shipping. Went together easily, seasoned up perfectly without serious temp differences on the surface and I used it twice this past weekend for philly cheesesteaks and tacos (pre-smoked the chicken on my Grilla Silverbac). It's a fun gadget to add to the backyard, cooking is a breeze. The one complaint I'd make is the backside of the griddle isn't fully covered when the lid is down. So it's open to air/humidity and should pollen or dust be blowing around it'll get in there. It may eventually be blocked by the house should I move it to the wall of the house however.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky