Blackberry Balsamic Glazed Twice Smoked Carving Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So the wife has had a bug to start the Christmas season off way early (for some reason she wants to have wants like a three month long deal......), so we did some practice on the big feast today......

I started with about a 1/3 rd of a carving ham that I tossed on the RT1250 @ 225 for about 2.5 hours till the IT was 100, then I jumped it up to 275 and put the ham in a foil pan with a little chicken stock and I started glazing it with my wife’s home made blackberry jam, red wine, balsamic reduction glaze.......here is the last of 3 coats over an hour to bring the ham up to 140...
1017899C-F88A-4B8D-AE93-0074A1358DA3.jpeg

this will be matched with my wife’s scratch Au Gratin (I don’t know how she makes it but it is goooodood....
BE7E8350-6586-4B64-93A0-5A50F2E3ADCD.jpeg

the slice! I love this knife, it was my grandmas so I’m guessing it’s about 60 to 65 years old now, but it holds a great edge and I only use it for special times like ushering in the Christmas Season!
9D3684DC-AD4D-44D7-91A5-35869734CDCF.jpeg

And now the plate, we did rodes rolls as the home made are reserved for the real meal deal!
3330A1D5-0E47-424E-A699-F48812D33BE7.jpeg

this is Christmas “Money”on a plate at our house!.....
D64E7E60-5115-48DB-AB85-B1FAAAFFA28A.jpeg

PS I think we will be having Christmas till January-ish is my guess, just saying!

That looks fantastic! I make a blackberry dipping sauce/mop sauce and also do an apricot/soy sauce for glaze. That looks like money for sure. Christmas until July, I would say. Nice job Sir.

That looks tasty as hell! If you're missing some glaze on that ham don't worry... it was just me, thinking it was a lollipop! Your wife's taters look about like what my wife makes... her grandma's recipe!

Very nice!
Ryan

That looks fantastic! I make a blackberry dipping sauce/mop sauce and also do an apricot/soy sauce for glaze. That looks like money for sure. Christmas until July, I would say. Nice job Sir.
Thanks Smokin! Blackberry and ham are perfect, the apricot/soy sounds really good!

July, I like the sound of that!

That looks tasty as hell! If you're missing some glaze on that ham don't worry... it was just me, thinking it was a lollipop! Your wife's taters look about like what my wife makes... her grandma's recipe!

Very nice!
Ryan
Oh yea Ryan, it is a meat lollipop!!! Them taters are just heaven!

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That looks real Tasty, love BlackBerry on most things, specially Lamb,
I would be happy to eat all on that plate, spuds look delish as well

Thanks Titch, we do lamb on a semi regular basis, with usually do the balsamic red wine, but will have to do the blackberry addition on the next time.....that is if we have any jam left....it goes fast! we only have 14 jars of it.....

Reactions: Titch
Wow...a truly spectacular looking ham. Very nice job and I love the sound of that glaze. I'll be doing some cooking for other folks to take the food to families (we have friends that don't cook) and may very well try to replicate that glaze. It sounds awesome!!

Robert

So the wife has had a bug to start the Christmas season off way early (for some reason she wants to have wants like a three month long deal......), so we did some practice on the big feast today......

I started with about a 1/3 rd of a carving ham that I tossed on the RT1250 @ 225 for about 2.5 hours till the IT was 100, then I jumped it up to 275 and put the ham in a foil pan with a little chicken stock and I started glazing it with my wife’s home made blackberry jam, red wine, balsamic reduction glaze.......here is the last of 3 coats over an hour to bring the ham up to 140...
View attachment 515141
this will be matched with my wife’s scratch Au Gratin (I don’t know how she makes it but it is goooodood....
View attachment 515142
the slice! I love this knife, it was my grandmas so I’m guessing it’s about 60 to 65 years old now, but it holds a great edge and I only use it for special times like ushering in the Christmas Season!
View attachment 515143
And now the plate, we did rodes rolls as the home made are reserved for the real meal deal!
View attachment 515144
this is Christmas “Money”on a plate at our house!.....
View attachment 515145
PS I think we will be having Christmas till January-ish is my guess, just saying!
I’m coming over for Christmas. Bringing the RV and kids too. Hopefully, my shitter doesn’t get full.

And the food looks really good!

Wow does that look good! Nice job.
thanks Brian! It’s a nice tasty rather simple meal

Great looking meal. Good job.

Rob
Many thanks Rob!

Wow...a truly spectacular looking ham. Very nice job and I love the sound of that glaze. I'll be doing some cooking for other folks to take the food to families (we have friends that don't cook) and may very well try to replicate that glaze. It sounds awesome!!

Robert
Thanks Robert. The glaze is my wife’s red wine balsamic glaze I have posted before with the addition of some blackberry jam. She thickens it just a bit to stick on the ham.....then a little of the broth reserves to thin it out to spoon over it!!!!

I’m coming over for Christmas. Bringing the RV and kids too. Hopefully, my shitter doesn’t get full.

And the food looks really good!
Ok yankee! You get the award for getting the movie reference!!!!! We have plenty of towels everything......just leave the lip fungus at home!!!!!

AWESOME MOVIE!

• Haha
Reactions: yankee2bbq
Yes definitely it looks awesome and I am surely gonna try this in future... also the recipe is quite interesting...

Yes definitely it looks awesome and I am surely gonna try this in future... also the recipe is quite interesting...
Thanks and as a side note the blackberry reduction was a hybrid version of what Gordan Ramsey does for his beef wellington. Its a pot of put GOLD flavor!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky