Black Indian Mustard ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Cajun Black Mustard

First I have to tell you there are different colored mustard seeds. The lighter the seeds the milder the taste. These black seeds are from India and they are, let’s call it spicy. Dave sent some to me to play with; he gets me off on creative journeys too often. LOL

One other thing when I told him how “Spicy” they were that he reminded me of tactfully that the longer you allow it to sit, like smoked nuts or jerky the milder it gets. Its been over a month now and I just can’t stop using it! Do yourself a favor and double my recipe. You won’t be able to stand it when you first make it, you’ll have to try a taste. It like biting into horseradish dipped in curry sauce! Remember to mellow.

He’s what I did.

1/3 Cup mustard seeds
½ Cup Coleman’s Mustard powder
½ Cup dark beer (I used Shiner Bock)
¼ Cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp honey

1. Put the seeds in a mortar and crunch a few, just a few, less than a quarter. Then cover all the seeds with the beer and over night to soften up the seeds.

2. The next day drop the pestle on ‘em a couple a times just to get their attention. Remember you want ‘em 75% whole.

3. Pour into a bowl; add salt, vinegar, mustard powder and honey. Don’t worry, it is gonna tighten up in the reefer. I put mine in a mason jelly jar. I have loads of Mason, Ball and Kerr jars around here, the barns are full!

I read about many many variations, the liquid (Beer, water, wine, apple juice, etc), Specific flavor modifiers (Honey, salt, red pepper, horseradish, allspice, syrup, sugar, even turmeric etc etc.) It was my first time so I KiSS’d it and I love it. Mad now I didn’t make more! Although I will.

Remember what you taste when you make it will sizably mellow after a few days. Leave it alone for 3 to 4 weeks!

IMG_8686.JPG

PS ROFLMAO house keeper just came in and saw the mustard after I took that picture. "Oh I love honey mustard", "I can tell by the smell its spicy and I love spicy" She tastes way too much and I could have sold her enough water to buy a case a beer..... it was funny! I warned her...LOL

Looks like a great recipe I am going to give it a try this weekend.

Sounds great spread on a roll with some pulled chucky piled on!

Kevin that is funny Dave sent you seeds that are from your area.
You could probably start a business,selling Mustard seed LOL Does sound good
Richie

Looks like a great recipe I am going to give it a try this weekend.

Sounds great spread on a roll with some pulled chucky piled on!

I have eaten a bunch of poboys this week!

Yep...sounds awesome!

I use Mustard, thyme & Lemon on my fish before rolling it and frying. It was unbelievably delicious! Riesling bread, great catfish poboy!

Gonna try this. If I can find everything.

There are so many options and all I went with was just a honey modifier. This is pretty dang spicy, I am thinking though rub it on the corned beef, then pack on my pastrami seasonings. My next one I will probably try dropping the seeds back to a quarter cup also, maybe... LOL

Kevin that is funny Dave sent you seeds that are from your area.
You could probably start a business,selling Mustard seed LOL Does sound good
Richie

I gotta tell ya, I thought about it. You've seen those little bitty mustard seeds? I would guess if you ever started 'em they'd take over the whole county!

You have me going, Now I gotta gather those ingredients to try that..... Thx for posting the recipe to this.

Well it looks like you'r gonna have a lot of us eating nlack mustard. It sounds really good. I'll have to try this.
Thanks for the recipe.

You better likea da spicy foods cha! Oooooeeeee that some spicy good mustard!

Gary
You have me going, Now I gotta gather those ingredients to try that..... Thx for posting the recipe to this.

I hope everyone likes it, I can believe that a condiment draws so much interest.

I am all over this. Making a double batch. Thanks Foam.
_DSC0800.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky