Big Labor day weekend w heavy pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
First off sorry for the super long post and all the pics. It was a long weekend!

Started Friday night prepping for the big game on Saturday. Going to a relative's house for a big low country boil. Taking moinks and ABT's with me.
labor1.jpg

Moinks were stuffed with home smoked cheddar cheese cubes and wrapped in bacon. ABT's were stuffed with a mixture of cream and cheddar cheese and some seasonings.
labor2.jpg

Hate I didn't get any done pics of the ABT's they were perfect. But here are the moinks brushed with some jack daniels glaze.
labor4.jpg

And a platter of smoked cheese I cut up. Cheddar, Swiss, Muenster, Jalapeno Colby and Cabot Hot Habanero.
labor3.jpg

After watching the worst college football game of my entire life we ate good. Didn't get any pics of the process but you know how it goes.
labor5.jpg

labor6.jpg

labor7.jpg

Onto Sunday evening. Time to get the meat prepped up to go on the smoker.
labor8.jpg

labor9.jpg

labor10.jpg

All trimmed up(butt injected with apple juice) and rubbed down.
labor11.jpg

Fired the smoker up to 225 with a maze of apple pellets and turned in for the night. Here's how it looked with I woke up a few hours later.
labor12.jpg

Both cooked pretty evenly temp wise. Both got wrapped at 155. First time using butcher paper and then used foil on the butt as usual.
labor13.jpg

Smoke is rolling. Added in a pan of 4 cheese mac and cheese and baked beans
labor14.jpg

Pulled the butt at 205. Damn brisket stalled on me at 183 and I couldn't get it to move for over an hour so I cranked the temp up to 275 and got it rolling.

After a rest for a couple hours. I always dump the juice from the foil over the pulled meat. So good and moist.
labor15.jpg

labor16.jpg

Brisket was great. Pictures look like crap and don't really do it justice but it was flavorful and moist. Only problem I ran into was when I got to the point it started to crumble on me.
labor17.jpg

labor19.jpg

labor20.jpg

Managed to snap a couple pics of the spread and all the sides. Had deviled eggs, potato salad, salad, smoked beans, smoked mac and cheese, buttermilk slaw, stuffed poblanos, and I'm sure other stuff that I forgot.
labor18.jpg

labor21.jpg

If you made it this far I applaud you. Busy weekend but we ate good and had a great time with friends and family. Thanks for checking it out!

John

Wow!!
That's a lot of Tasty Looking Treats you got there, John!!
Nice Job!
Like.
Sorry about your game! Ours was a little Wild Too.

Bear

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Lot's of great looking food, spending time with family and friends is a great way to spend time, unfortunately the game didn't turn out good for you but that's football we all have those days for me i've had whole seasons like that.

I'll add another WOW! So much great food. What a great weekend.

As far as your Vols? Phillip Fulmer isn't too old to come back and sort this out! SEC is a tough conference to be in much less when things aren't gong well. Keep the faith and keep cooking. These things cycle in football.

That is one fine looking spread of food John. Great job on everything! Yea, that game was terrible. No excuse. Do you see us beating BYU? Go Vols!

Dave

Wow! This is a lot of food to consume! Very nice. Looks like you were pretty busy and had a lot of fun that weekend. Like!
Now I have a question for you and please, please don't laugh at me.... What is moinks and what is ABT's? Looks like one of them is stuffed jalapeno though...

Wow! This is a lot of food to consume! Very nice. Looks like you were pretty busy and had a lot of fun that weekend. Like!
Now I have a question for you and please, please don't laugh at me.... What is moinks and what is ABT's? Looks like one of them is stuffed jalapeno though...

No laughs man. Moinks are a 50/50 mix of beef/pork meatballs(really could be all beef or pork up to you) with cheese in the middle and wrapped in bacon smoked. ABT's(atomic buffalo turds) are just another abbreviation of stuffed bacon wrapped jalapenos.

Wow!!
That's a lot of Tasty Looking Treats you got there, John!!
Nice Job!
Like.
Sorry about your game! Ours was a little Wild Too.

Bear

Thanks John and thanks for the like! One of these days TN might win a game. In the meantime ill just keep cold beer on top and the smoke rolling!

Thank you, John! Now I can consider myself an educated man!
Never tired moinks but they look soooo.... tempting... This weekend maybe? :emoji_blush:

Throw some on the smoker this weekend! These were pretty decent size took 3 hours at 250 with a glaze of jack daniels sauce the last 20 min. You can glaze with whatever you like(bbq,teriyaki, etc...)

Lot's of great looking food, spending time with family and friends is a great way to spend time, unfortunately the game didn't turn out good for you but that's football we all have those days for me i've had whole seasons like that.

Thanks! Yeah football sucks sometimes...well all the time if you are a TN fan haha but still great to hang out with family and friends and have some good food

That all looks great. A weekend well spent I'd say. The prices on the meat amaze me. Occasionally, very occasionally, I'll see butts for .99 but I never see brisket for anything near that $1.99 price.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky