Best Budget Knives?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

What are some of the top budget knives on the market?

I'm referring to $50 or less. Primarily, I'm referring to a nice chef's knife or santoku.

My only nice cutlery is a Dalstrong slicing knife that is awesome. Curious what else is out there that I should check out.

Try Radakitchenstore.com. Very sharp right out of the box and a great price. Also easy to keep sharp.

illimi40, I checked out the Dalstrong knives on the net and they seem pretty nice but by no meand "budget". Which model do you have, and have you used it on a cooked brisket with good results? The knife I now use is serrated and it just tears up the bark and the meat. Hate that that so I'm looking to get a new carving knife.

I have Tramontina utility and chefs from either Sams or Costco that are marked German steel. Also got a cemeter and 11” slicer from Update on Amazon that are GS also. They’re cheap, sharp and sturdy.

Victorinix Fibrox lineups good. Mercer are very widely used commercially. I have some of both and they are pretty good for the price point. I have a Henckels 4 star santoku I caught on Amazon sale last year for about $60 that has held a nice edge too. My overall favorite is a higher price at $99 which is my Miyabi Chef knife. Have had for a year and is sharp enough for surgery :)

I40, J.A. Henckel is a good knifemaker, I have had a set for game processing for 15 years. I see Macys has a sale on an 8 inch slicer ,could be better deals on them out there ?

You want budget knives under $50.00? I bought this set a few years back. I like them. A good set of knives for outdoor cooking be it on the patio or on a camping adventure. Actually, a pretty good set for the kitchen. Not fancy and certainly not a status statement. Just a decent set of working knives. And should you drop one or seriously damage a blade, you are not out much money.
https://www.knivesplus.com/QN-705-Old-Hickory.HTML

Last edited:
I wanted a large Cimeter style knife to use for raw and well as cooked meats. I got an Update off of Ebay and have been really happy with it. Large, fits my hand, holds it's edge very well for an inexpensive knife.
I'm drooling for a nice Slicer. But just drooling so far. :emoji_laughing:

Other than that, I got the wife a J.A. Hinkles Block and starter set of knives from May Company on sale one Christmas (Probably 15-20 years ago now). Then I bought more knives to fill the block, and a vegetable clever. That clever is also nice to butcher 5 pound blocks of cheese. :emoji_wink:
I let a Brother-In-Law use the meat fork out of the set when he was BBQing tri-tips at our house. The oaf managed to break a tine off it. Hinkles was good to their word. Sent it in, got an exact replacement to match the set. (I never use a fork on meat. Pokes holes and lets the juices out. :emoji_disappointed: Ima tongs guy.)

My everyday knives are Nexus knives. https://www.cutleryandmore.com/nexus Some of these are over your $50 price, some are under it. These are really great knives, the ones with the BD1N steel, for the price, they hold an edge very well, even my wife can't kill them. BD1N is American made tool steel and is very hard but does not chip the edge, like some hard steels. I highly recommend them for everyday use.

I like my Dexter Russell knives, and I prefer their Sani-Safe series.
Most of them fall within your budget, just a few exceed it but not by much.
I have their,
14" wide duo-edge slicer
10" Santoku Chef
10" and 8" Fillet
9" Cimeter
8" Breaking
6" Boning
3" Paring

Last edited:
My everyday knives are Nexus knives. https://www.cutleryandmore.com/nexus Some of these are over your $50 price, some are under it. These are really great knives, the ones with the BD1N steel, for the price, they hold an edge very well, even my wife can't kill them. BD1N is American made tool steel and is very hard but does not chip the edge, like some hard steels. I highly recommend them for everyday use.
I’ve uet to meet a knife my wife can’t kill LOL. I may have to check these. I have 4 knives for my use that live in my office in the desk. I’m not sure what she does to them but it’s bad lol.

Reactions: retfr8flyr
I got a drawer full of Victorinox and Dexter Sanisafe. These brands were used in every restaurant I worked in as well...JJ

My only Dexter is their pizza knife. Pretty sweet. Our main kitchen knives are Chicago Cutlery, bought some 30 odd years ago. Also a couple of Victorinox, some sort of inexpensive anniversary set from a few years back.

You want budget knives under $50.00? I bought this set a few years back. I like them. A good set of knives for outdoor cooking be it on the patio or on a camping adventure. Actually, a pretty good set for the kitchen. Not fancy and certainly not a status statement. Just a decent set of working knives. And should you drop one or seriously damage a blade, you are not out much money.
https://www.knivesplus.com/QN-705-Old-Hickory.HTML

Yup yup - Old Hickory is awesome...but not dishwasher safe

Who puts knives in a dishwasher? Mine are hand washed and dried. Wood handles get a dose of mineral oil as needed. I've seen postings on chowhound where folks will only buy knives if they are dishwasher proof. Never understood that. But hey, I am old.

Reactions: jcam222
I've purchased many knives over the years I just never found any in that price range that would hold up to what we use them for. I'm also with Sarge, we hand wash our knives.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky