Best Budget Knives?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not sure where Chicago Cutlery is now made. The company was taken over several years ago. Some of their knives are offshore.

I have several Shuns and they are all great performers.

Funny, one of my best and favorite Santokus is a Rachel Ray that I found at the Goodwill store. Holds an edge as well as any high-dollar knife.

Sarge, understood. I'm looking for indoor to slice cleanly a brisket after smoked. My great outdoor cooking is over.

I don't have a slicer (yet).
But from what I've read, a smooth edge (not serrated) is what to look for.

One of my BIL's uses an electric for ham. We get the Ham Bone for Navy Bean Soup. LOTS of meat left for the soup. :rolleyes:

Being a meat cutter for over 30+ years, I tend towards the professional lines of good knives. Victorinox cimeter, Victorinox 6" curved boning, Dexter-Russell Sani-Safe straight 6" boning, Grafton 12" serrated slicing knife. You can get them all at Bunzl-Koch Supply, https://www.bunzlpd.com/shop/cutlery/knives

Try Radakitchenstore.com. Very sharp right out of the box and a great price. Also easy to keep sharp.

+2 on this. I bought my first one at a local market from a vendor pushing them. Bought the chef utility knife for $8.50 and it was thin and looked like it would stay sharp and tried it for venison processing. They do stay sharp. I have since bought a couple more and remove knives from my wife's knife block one by one and slide these in. That Chef Utility knife seems to be everyone's go to knife in the kitchen now as they know it will be sharp.

Now, If I can train the wife and daughter to start sliding the knives in the blocks edge up. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't see them sliding it in like they were trying to saw the block with the knife. Or at least slide it in and out with the pressure on the upper side.

I completely forgot about Rada. Mom had a couple of them with the aluminum handles. Nearly indestructible!

Have you looked at Lamson Sharp? And old company still making knives and such in the USA.
Yep, just looked at them and they appear pretty good. I prefer products made in the GOOD OLE' USA!!

I don't have a slicer (yet).
But from what I've read, a smooth edge (not serrated) is what to look for
I agree, the serrated knife I use does not get you clean slices and tears up the rub bark

One of my BIL's uses an electric for ham. We get the Ham Bone for Navy Bean Soup. LOTS of meat left for the soup. :rolleyes:

What is/are "BIL's"? And you have many? Ham bone navy bean soup poured over homemade corn bread!!

No Sweat....

"I agree, the serrated knife I use does not get you clean slices and tears up the rub bark."

I do already have a serrated Bread knife I could use if I wanted too.

"What is/are "BIL's"? And you have many? Ham bone navy bean soup poured over homemade corn bread!!"

BIL or SIL = Brother-In-Law, Sister-In-Law. Yes, I have a bunch.

Yep. Anyway you like it. But I prefer my Cornbread on the side, warm, with butter.
My Mom and Dad spent WWII in Hawaii working for the Navy. My wife makes the bestest Navy Bean soup since my Dad.
Dad always Loved him a pot of it. And he'd put a piece of "Sow Belly" in his.

Funny how food always brings back heartwarming memories. My Dad loved steaks so everytime I have one I think of him. Problem with aging is that you lose so many loved ones.
True, but if you get old enough, you can't remember any of them, which solves the problem.

Funny how food always brings back heartwarming memories. My Dad loved steaks so everytime I have one I think of him. Problem with aging is that you lose so many loved ones.

My Son-In-Laws Grandpa out-lived everybody he knew.
Thing is, the more you outlive, the closer you get to it being your turn. :confused:o_O

I look at my retirement as the time I was put out to pasture to when I'm out of the way.;)
At least the Grandkid's still like me. :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: retfr8flyr
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky