• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Berkshire Pork bellies

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Restocked on smoking wood, grabbed about 150 lbs. total of apple, cherry , pear and oak. Decided to do a couple Berkshire pork bellies today with a mix of apple and cherry wood. Rubbed up with my sweet and spicy sugar free rub. Served with smoked faux jalapeno cheese grits and my homemade sweet and spicy pickles and peppers.

I will likely never use store bought commercial wood chunks again. The difference in the smoke quality and longevity off the locally secured wood was night and day different! Smoked at about 250F for 4 hours and let it ride up to 300F until I pulled them at 203F to a cooler for an hour.

Here's some Q view.

plaated closeup.jpg
plated.jpg
cross section.jpg
out of smoker.jpg
in smoker.jpg

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Nice how did they taste.

Warren
I think they were delicious. The belly is pretty meaty yet has the succulent melt in your mouth fat. My rubs pretty tasty and I served with a little G Hughes sf bbq too. I had about 6 people devouring some samples I took them :)

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 11, 2015
jcam222 Thanks for the like it is appreciated.

North East Ohio where you at we are having a gathering near Port Matilda Pa at pc farmer's place come join us Sept. 27 - 29

Warren

mike243

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 25, 2018
Looks great,I use the Hughes sf bbq sauce when I want some,being diabetic sucks

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
jcam222 Thanks for the like it is appreciated.

North East Ohio where you at we are having a gathering near Port Matilda Pa at pc farmer's place come join us Sept. 27 - 29

Warren
Hey I might just do that. Shoot me some details in inbox!

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
I do everything sugar free as I’ve been doing keto for well over a year. I’ve found and tweaked a great sugar free rub I use for pork and chicken. Happy to share it.
Looks great,I use the Hughes sf bbq sauce when I want some,being diabetic sucks

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 11, 2015
Look under events for Pa 2019 gathering all the info is there.

Warren

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Looks mighty good!
Al

motolife313

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2016
Nice! I sell firewood and I’ve heard from couple of customers that the store bought stuff isn’t as good and burns like cardboard. A customer gave me a piece of mesquite once and he told me they inject it with oil. Probably so it won’t dry out Uber bad. I only deliver my firewood so I tell the cheap customers that don’t wanna pay delivery to go to Home Depot and give that wood a try but it’s not as good. Is that big juice pool all natural or you doing some spritzing? Looks perfect! I need to try a bellie that way. I’m worried it will be way too rich for me.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Nice! I sell firewood and I’ve heard from couple of customers that the store bought stuff isn’t as good and burns like cardboard. A customer gave me a piece of mesquite once and he told me they inject it with oil. Probably so it won’t dry out Uber bad. I only deliver my firewood so I tell the cheap customers that don’t wanna pay delivery to go to Home Depot and give that wood a try but it’s not as good. Is that big juice pool all natural or you doing some spritzing? Looks perfect! I need to try a bellie that way. I’m worried it will be way too rich for me.
No spritz or inject on the belly. It has an abundance of fat juiciness :) if you like the fat cap on a pork belly and nibble while you are pulling them pork belly is for you lol. I love it , wife hates it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom
Clicky