Beef rib confusion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

capt dan

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 2, 2007
I am at my grocery store and i see thay have some huge beef ribs on sale for .99 a lb. The package says Beef Spare ribs. I did a search on this site and everyone seems to say that beef ribs are short ribs, and spare ribs are pork. These racks are huge. The bones are probably 8 inches or longer, and there are 7-8 of them in a rack which is about the whole depth of my fridge or about 18 inches. They look pretty good to me, but I have never done any beef ribs. I was planning on doing them on sat or sun. Are these spares? Should I treat them like porkies, and rub the night before and smoke with the 3-2-1?

Thanks for any info. I promise to share a Q-view when I am done with them.
smile.gif

I've been told not to do them like pork spare ribs. I've smoked beef ribs twice now and the first time I cooked them for about 5 hours and then brushed them with sauce for the last hour. The were pretty good but the second batch I just did were much better. I think 6 hours was too long. The second batch I smoked them for 5 hours and then served them naked. They were very much better then the first batch. I found them at Albertsons for $1.00 per pound. They had them in a 4 rack package. It was about 22 lbs. I rubbed 2 racks with Jeff's rub and 2 racks with Montreal steak seasoning. Both turned out very good. I like them both. I'm thinking 5 hours worked really good. I kept the smoker at 225 degrees. Good luck with your ribs. I think you are going to love them. I sure do!!!

Bob

I have several thread on here doing Beef ribs. Do a search on Beef Ribs. A big fav or mine. I have bought racks before, but prefer individual beef boned ribs, due to more meat. I have taken the racks before and split them individually then covered them in mojo and placed them in a pan. Beef does not need as long as pork and I never seem to do them more than 3 1/2 hours for a nice medium done rib. Usually around 250º smoking temp.

Flash, I did do a search, and yes I did notice that you did post alot on beef ribs, and the Mojo. But every pic of yours seemed to be the short ribs, I was wondering about these "flinstone ribs". Thanks for the info.

Bob, thank you also, I think you bought the same kind as me, cuz the 2 racks I have come to just over 10 lbs. I have bought Jeffs rub recipe and I think I may have to try it on these big boned monsters. I don't usually sauce my ribs, and I doubt if I will these, just on the side!

Thanks for the info AGAIN! you guys are the shnizzle!
Any other input is always appreciated. I can't regulate my temps to a perfect 210, or 215, or even 225, but I manage pretty well on a 210-240 temp now that stinky is in a shelter, and the wind has no influence on it any longer.

Dan,

I did a pretty thorough step by step through the brontasaurus style beef ribs. If you search my past posts I'm sure you'll see it. It strikes me as being in late summer of this year. It's my favorite thing on the smoker!

Bill

I found the thread, Thanks! Those are the style I bought, Just more bones/bigger rack. probably will cut them in half and use the rib rack.

Yes, mainly boned ribs. What I see here marketed as Short ribs are usually 3 inch sections, but I really think they get boned ribs and slice them. I have done the bronto beef ribs and even then cut them individualy. In fact I still have a rack out in the freezer. Might have to do them up soon, the dog has been giving me the evil eye as of late.
Most of the full size racks like you are talking about do not have a good amount of meat on them, atleast down here they don't. That's why we looked for the beef boned. I have now found out that these ribs come in as a larger roast and have been able to get them to cut them down for me. More a prime rib meat with bone now. Super good.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

they labled them Soup Bones

I have to agree with Flash. I have bought some full racks of beef ribs in the past. Not much meat on them, but they turned out really good. Of course, this was well before I found this site. I'm not sure where I got my info from, but I par-boiled them for 10 minutes, seasoned them, and stuck them in the smokehouse at ~180*, and let them dry off, then put the smoke to 'em, and raised the house temp to 225*. Brought them up to about 180* IT. They were OK, but they could have been better. (not real tender) I just threw them in a 350* oven, for 15 - 20 minutes, to reheat them. Pretty tasty.

I would definitely like to get some of those long, meaty ribs, and try it again. Most of the ones I see are short ribs, only about 2" - 3" long. I don't swing by the meat dept. much lately, so I'm not sure what they have around here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky