Beef liver ideas? (4-6oz presliced)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hamdrew

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
In short, I need to eat more iron and a lot of it. I just found out Walmart sells beef liver for $2.50/lb; quite a bit cheaper than crustaceans or even chicken livers here. Liver & onions is always a solid choice, as are tacos (not too far from de Lengua IMO), but I'm looking for anything that might really compliment it; I'll probably end up trying most ground beef/steak recipes.

So far-

Cured steaks a la liverwurst, smoke bigger slices for braunschweiger
Burgers, especially onion smashburgers
Liverwurst/braunschweiger meatloaf/meatballs
Bulk bratwurst sort of seasoning
Curries
Larb
Kebabs (with ____ produce?)
Pasta
Fried
Gravy

Reactions: JLeonard
My mom fed us liver and onions darn near every week for years and years, so I am a big fan.

Reactions: Hamdrew
Liver onions with gravy and biscuits.
there'll be a lot of that in the near future, for sure. chicken-fried (beef) liver is always good too, and the doc didn't say a thing about my cholesterol.. lol

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
I'm not a fan of Beef Liver but, some years ago I worked with Egyptian Cooks. They fast sun up to sundown for Ramadan. At sundown those guys are really hungry! Since we were all working I was asked to make supper. They wanted Beef Liver. One of the guys talked me through their fav preparation.

Egyption Liver Hoagie

12oz Beef Liver
EVOO as needed.
1C Diced Onions
1C Diced Green or Red Bell Pepper
4 Cloves Garlic, minced.
1/2C Diced Tomato, one small
1/2tsp Grnd Cumin
1/2tsp Grnd Coriander
Pinch Cinnamon
1/2tsp Salt
1/2tsp Black Pepper
1/2tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/4C Loose pack Chopped Parsley
Juice of Half a Lemon or to taste.

Slice the Liver into thin strips. Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper then set aside.
Heat a pan with 2T EVOO.
Add Onions and Peppers. Saute until beginning to soften and get some color.
Add minced Garlic and saute until fragrant.
Add diced Tomatoes and saute.
Add the Spices, Red Pepper Flakes, Salt and Blk Pepper and saute.
Cook 2 until all is hot.
Add Fresh Chopped Parsley and Lemon Juice.
Hold warm to the side.
Heat a second pan with EVOO until very hot.
Add Liver and Saute to brown the outside and cook to still pink, medium, inside.
Top with Sauce, stir to combine and serve on Steak or Hoagie Rolls.
Makes 2 generous Sandwiches.

I gotta tell you. Even if you HATE Beef Liver, this is a Fantastic Sandwich!!!
The Key, make sure the liver is no more cooked than Medium...JJ

I'm with pineywoods pineywoods on using an iron supplement. I remember the Geritol ads.

Used to eat fried beef or pork liver, onions, and bacon. Never loved poultry liver.
Tastes change over the years and don't eat beef or pork liver unless blended in sausage to cut the mineral taste.

My iron level is always very good when I donate blood, so no need for a supplement.

I take a multivitamin with no iron but D3 which is a very important to overall health.

I grew up eating chicken liver & onions, but I don’t think I have ever had beef liver. My Mom used to make it about once a week or every two weeks. I liked it & still do, so does Judy, but for some reason we just don’t buy it anymore. Have to give it a try again!
Al

We do a Philippine Dish very tasty
Richie

Beef or chicken pate. Very tasty...
We do a Philippine Dish very tasty
Richie
This is the stuff i'm looking for, thanks!! Little variations like Mexican or this Filipino liver and onions, and the suggestion of pate reminded me of doing a banh mi.

I'm not a fan of Beef Liver but, some years ago I worked with Egyptian Cooks. They fast sun up to sundown for Ramadan. At sundown those guys are really hungry! Since we were all working I was asked to make supper. They wanted Beef Liver. One of the guys talked me through their fav preparation.

Egyption Liver Hoagie

6oz Beef Liver
EVOO as needed.
1C Diced Onions
1C Diced Green or Red Bell Pepper
4 Cloves Garlic, minced.
1/2C Diced Tomato, one small
1/2tsp Grnd Cumin
1/2tsp Grnd Coriander
Pinch Cinnamon
1/2tsp Salt
1/2tsp Black Pepper
1/2tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/4C Loose pack Chopped Parsley
Juice of Half a Lemon or to taste.

Slice the Liver into thin strips. Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper then set aside.
Heat a pan with 2T EVOO.
Add Onions and Peppers. Saute until beginning to soften and get some color.
Add minced Garlic and saute until fragrant.
Add diced Tomatoes and saute.
Add the Spices, Red Pepper Flakes, Salt and Blk Pepper and saute.
Cook 2 until all is hot.
Add Fresh Chopped Parsley and Lemon Juice.
Hold warm to the side.
Heat a second pan with EVOO until very hot.
Add Liver and Saute to brown the outside and cook to still pink, medium, inside.
Top with Sauce, stir to combine and serve on Steak or Hoagie Rolls.

I gotta tell you. Even if you HATE Beef Liver, this is a Fantastic Sandwich!!!
The Key, make sure the liver is no more cooked than Medium...JJ
Dang! Thats a good sounding sammich.
Jim

It was Very Good and I didn't like liver. The Sauce ingredients and spices, bring out the good Liver flavor masking that Metallic/Mineral flavor...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky