Beef Barbacoa Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How in Hell did I miss this thread, and it was on the Carousel even?

Great tacos there, mouthwatering pics... Nice work.
Belated congrats on the cook and Carousel.
Like!

Hi my nick is ChileRelleno and I'm a Mexican food junkie and I approve this thread.

Hope you like it. Let me know what you think.
Need advice. I smoked at 250 for 3 hrs, removed at it of 152. My chuck is reading 205 right now after 1 hour in 300 oven with liquid. Its not soft butter probe tender and didn't seem to want to pull easily so thinking its not done yet. Im like 2 hours ahead of mybplanned dinner time.i reduced oven to 225. Help? Leave it?

You did good. You could pull it or leave it in the oven. I never take the temp on this chuck, just go until it is pull apart tender. I don’t wrap it at all. Move straight from the braising liquid to a bowl to shred it. I add some of the liquid back to the meet after shredding.

Smells great, right?

Care to share your taco making technique? Looks like you are using a tool maybe?

Thanks Bear, idahops and Fade2blacc.

If you like Mexican food you need to try this. I will never make tacos with ground beef again.

Zwiller,

I use a form to fry my taco shells. I have a small deep fryer and the whole “basket and mold” doesn’t fit.

So.....

I bought the forms (the inside half of the mold) and made it work. I bought 3 forms and bent one a little smaller and one a little larger so they nest together.
CCEC5503-0D54-4C09-81E5-E618105F55CA.jpeg

Then I place a corn tortilla between each form.

5791661F-7962-4EAE-AA05-B165FDD63E2F.jpeg

Drop into the fryer. They fry for 1:15 at 350° and they are done. I dust them with some sea salt while they are hot out of the oil and hold them in the oven on warm until I finish frying all the shells.

They are so fresh and crispy!

Reactions: zwiller
I like it as it is... he just looked at the ingredients and mentioned that it seemed heavy on the clove to him. I don’t think he made it using my recipe so it is just an observation based on the ingredients. Go ahead and cut back on the clove and try it. Let me know how it turns out.

Reactions: banderson7474
Will do, I can't wait! I plan on chopping it up a little more than pulling but other than that, I should follow the same. I'm a little torn on using a packet of taco seasoning b/c I don't want it to mask all the other delish spices that are going into it.

I cook my shells a little different but not by much. I just put oil in a iron skillet and fry them up by hand one at a time. I'm also interested in how glorious it will smell in the kitchen while it's cooking. The only thing I can't decide is if I have time to do it on Saturday or will I need to wait until Sunday lol

I like it as it is... he just looked at the ingredients and mentioned that it seemed heavy on the clove to him. I don’t think he made it using my recipe so it is just an observation based on the ingredients. Go ahead and cut back on the clove and try it. Let me know how it turns out.

I did a quick recon at the local store yesterday and all of the chucks were 2.5lbs or under. I'm going to try Krogers to see what they have but I may have to go to a butcher to get a 5 pounder. (I didn't really want to smoke two smaller roasts) Also, where in the world did you find jalepeno powder? I couldn't find anything like that. Not sure how important that is. I probably could just use something else.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky