Beef Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'll click on anything that has the word Bacon on it :emoji_laughing:

Stuff looks and sounds tasty. I don't see many flats that have nice marbling in them but yours looked good! What grade was that flat? I'll be looking for your chuck version in the future. Well done Jake.

Question - When you did your 2 x 4 hr cold smokes did you just run the AMPS tube or did you also run the smoker on a low temp? (Taking notes... :emoji_wink:)

Reactions: TNJAKE
I don't know how I missed seeing this thread.... Great job on this Jake. I still have some packs of beef bacon in the freezer from my last batch, guess I need to thaw one.
Thanks bud. You were partly to blame for this!

I'll click on anything that has the word Bacon on it :emoji_laughing:

Stuff looks and sounds tasty. I don't see many flats that have nice marbling in them but yours looked good! What grade was that flat? I'll be looking for your chuck version in the future. Well done Jake.

Question - When you did your 2 x 4 hr cold smokes did you just run the AMPS tube or did you also run the smoker on a low temp? (Taking notes... :emoji_wink:)
Appreciate it bud was a choice flat from Sam's. Just on the higher end of choice I suppose. Whole thing was marbled like that. The smoke was cold smoke only no heat from the smoker. Didn't want the fat to render so it would still have fat for the skillet. The few days of aging really ups the flavor as well

Reactions: texomakid
Looks fantastic Jake. I tried that a while back with a CPB brisket flat but it didn't come out well. The flat was just too lean and nothing at all like bacon. Flavor was very good but just not what I wanted for bacon.

Robert

Reactions: TNJAKE
Looks fantastic Jake. I tried that a while back with a CPB brisket flat but it didn't come out well. The flat was just too lean and nothing at all like bacon. Flavor was very good but just not what I wanted for bacon.

Robert
Thanks Robert. Give it another try with a different brisket. Enjoying mine so much gonna keep it in the rotation

TNJAKE TNJAKE I am about to try this, the flat is thawing in my beer refrigerator. I have seen recipes where people rince after the cure to wash off left over cure I guess. Do you rince yours? It seems like that would also wash off the brown sugar?

TNJAKE TNJAKE I am about to try this, the flat is thawing in my beer refrigerator. I have seen recipes where people rince after the cure to wash off left over cure I guess. Do you rince yours? It seems like that would also wash off the brown sugar?
There is no reason to rinse after you cure but it won't effect the sugar if that's what you decide to do. During the curing process the salt, sugar and cure are all absorbed into the meat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky