Beef Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
And my first question is, can I use less salt. I have to go read all the curing stuff from the corned beef post to see if I can figure it out on my own.
You can use some less salt but you'll need a certain amount to drive the cure. This was perfect for our taste. I have high BP so I'll have to let you know how I feel after eating more than a couple pieces lol

You can use some less salt but you'll need a certain amount to drive the cure. This was perfect for our taste. I have high BP so I'll have to let you know how I feel after eating more than a couple pieces lol
Thanks jake, for some reason family doesn't mind more salt in bacon, so maybe it isn't an issue. I still want to understand.

Reactions: TNJAKE
And my first question is, can I use less salt. I have to go read all the curing stuff from the corned beef post to see if I can figure it out on my own.
You can go 1.5% salt + the salt from the cure (1.75% total salt) but I wouldn't go much below that. The cure requires salt to draw it into the meat.

Thanks jake, for some reason family doesn't mind more salt in bacon, so maybe it isn't an issue. I still want to understand.
Gotcha. If salt sensitivity isn't an issue then I'd start around where I did. Not sure you can go below 1.5% salt. You'll have to ask someone more science driven for that answer

Wow! That looks so good! Never would have thought of beef but Damn that looks so good! Mabey I missed it but how does beef bacon taste?

Wow! That looks so good! Never would have thought of beef but Damn that looks so good! Mabey I missed it but how does beef bacon taste?
Thanks bud. Hard to explain lol. Has a beefy texture but to me tastes very similar to country ham. Kinda messes with your mind. Tasty stuff though

Good job on this. There is a local butcher in Chattanooga that does beef bacon. I've never had it but it's on my radar now for sure. Well executed man!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky