BBQ Crab's Cajun Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noble captain

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
narin Louisiana
Hello, everyone
I have my godchildren in town from Florida and one of them is super picky eater. So I got creative lol. How about BBQ Crab's. So here are some pictures of how to clean a crab.

IMG_20180707_180937308.jpg
IMG_20180707_180942995.jpg
IMG_20180707_181003093.jpg
IMG_20180707_181024536.jpg
IMG_20180707_181053019.jpg
IMG_20180707_181053019.jpg

Once the Crab's are clean I marinade them in a large tray , with Italian dissing, 2 stick's of real butter, ponzu sauce, fresh garlic, and of course here in Louisiana we use cayenne . We had 24 Crab's so I used enough of the liquid's evenly to cover all the Crab's and a head of garlic ( i minced the fresh garlic ) and two tea spoons of cayenne. Salt and pepper to taste. Reserve at least 2cups to bast with when on the grill. I soak for at least 30 minutes.
Heat the pit to 350 and put all the Crab's open side down for 5 to 7 minutes then I flipped them and cooked 5 to 7 minutes on the other side while continuing to basting them with the same marinade. The time depends on the size of the Crab's. So here's how it turned out.

IMG_20180706_183316386.jpg

IMG_20180706_183529534.jpg

IMG_20180706_183540579.jpg

IMG_20180706_184035264.jpg

IMG_20180706_185215516_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

That is picky eating it and loving it. Lol
Thanks.

Nice thread, I appreciate the lesson on cleaning the crab. The cook looks like it turned out great by the big ol smile from your picky eater lol. Nicely done

Reactions: noble captain
NC, Nice job on the crabs, I ate a lot of em when I was younger but never had them smoked . LIKE!

Great thread and pictures Cap. I've been around crabs for decades but never had a smoked one, yet.

Judging by the bite out of the styrofoam cup, "Picky" got pretty hungry before the crabs showed up.

That's really cool! Not common at all here in PA...lol. People would be stoked... and confused... and all sorts of things... if they showed up and saw that on the grill...lol. That would be so cool!

That's really cool! Not common at all here in PA...lol. People would be stoked... and confused... and all sorts of things... if they showed up and saw that on the grill...lol. That would be so cool!
I really think it's pretty easy, but has great flavor and presentation . Thanks

Excellent write up Noble Captain!
I wish I'd seen this about June 30th when the crabbin season opened at my Daughters house in Washington State.
I never realized crabs had an easy opening pull tab. :rolleyes:

I chilled ours, quick killed, then twisted the halves out. Quick shake, quick rinse, Steamed and an ice water chill, bagged and frozen. Ready for a Boil here at home.
I loaded my freezer in my RV, and have them in the deep freeze until the boil.
I might need to get my cousin Vic and Uncle Syris in to help me with a good old Louisianian Boil. At my Aunts wake, Uncle Syris asked Betty and I to stick around after the rest left. Victor was putting on a Crawfish Boil.
We stood around a nice pit fire, drinkin skunky Swap Meet beer from Uncles stash, swappin tales and laughin.
Then Victor poured the basket on a big table for all to enjoy.
Aunt Arlene I am sure was smiling approvingly...

Looks like you managed to get picky pleased.
So those are Blue Crabs....

Awesome thread! Big Like!

Cleanliness wise, I prefer cleaning crab before cooking them, I think the flavor is much improved cleaning AFTER. Cooking in its own juices makes a big difference- no matter if you steam, boil or grill them. Never felt a need or want to marinate and baste them like that but might have to give that a try... Because.... I did notice you left a little bit of that brown "crab butter" in the body there.. which is AMBROSIA and best part of the crab (and why I like to cook in the whole). BUT out here in the Northwest they have Domoic Acid level warnings and they recommend not eating any of the viscera part of crab and shellfish... Shame... However your method of cleaning before and using a marinade and basting has its merits for that reason.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky