BAKED WALLEYE WITH LEMON GARLIC BUTTER AND HERBS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
This simple baked walleye recipe with garlic lemon butter sauce and herbs makes the perfect easy, healthy and delicious meal.
20240326_174138.jpg
20240326_174152.jpg
20240326_174213.jpg

Attachments

• Baked Walleye with Lemon Garlic Butter and Herbs - Big Delicious Life.pdf
    96.5 KB · Views: 18
WALLEYE! I have been given the opportunity to eat it exactly twice, and I loved it both times! Once fried and once grilled. Baked sounds great and your pictures prove it.

Not a lot of walleye in Texas, so I appreciate when y'all post pictures of your meals with it

Reactions: KBFlyer
Never had a chance to eat Walleye as it's not much available in SC waters, either. Although our state does list a record for them at 10 lbs. caught in Lake Russell, which is on the SC/Georgia border, and a tying record of another 10 lb. 1.44 oz. fish caught in mountain lake on our border with Georgia. But I've read others say it's delicious. Maybe one day...

Reactions: KBFlyer
Never had a chance to eat Walleye as it's not much available in SC waters, either. Although our state does list a record for them at 10 lbs. caught in Lake Russell, which is on the SC/Georgia border, and a tying record of another 10 lb. 1.44 oz. fish caught in mountain lake on our border with Georgia. But I've read others say it's delicious. Maybe one day...
I actually prefer Pike to walleye for taste. I hate cleaning them because of the Y-bones but the bigger ones are pretty simple once you have done a few.

"
Taste Differences of Pike and Walleye
The differences in muscle shape and density for Pike and Walleye are noticeable in cooking but not a bad situation either. On a positive note, they’re both “clean” fish in terms of their diets.

Pike have a firm, white meat that is low in fat and high in protein. Yet, they also have many small bones, called Y-bones, that are embedded in their flesh. These bones make it difficult to fillet and eat pike without encountering them. Some anglers avoid Pike for this reason. Others use special techniques to remove the bones, making Pike more popular for fish fries.

Walleyes, however, are the gold standard of Canadian shore lunches. They have flaky, white meat that is high in fat and omega-3 fatty acids. They have fewer and larger bones than Pike, which makes them easier to fillet and eat. Walleye are regarded as one of the best-tasting freshwater fish and are highly sought after by anglers and consumers. For some, walleye meat is better suited for long-term freezing, since it retains its flavor and texture better than Pike meat.

In short, they are both clean white flaky meat that’s neither “fishy” nor “gamey” tasting if handled properly. For example, don’t let them bake at the bottom of the boat all day! Regardless, both the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and Canadian Food Inspection Agency recommend at most 6 to 8 months of storage in a home freezer for lean fish.
332109104_1371132586982627_6037632714801943412_n.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky