BACON (Extra Smoky)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
question for Bear, why am I smoking my bacon at 130 why not 90 or no heat at all?
I've tried all ways---You can too.

However I use Between 110° and 130°, because I can get the same color & Great Flavor in about 10 Hours (One load in my AMNPS), as I can get in 24 to 30 hours of Cold Smoking.

Just keep it below 140° to avoid any rendering or Fat melting.

Bear

71d5e969d2db440573529c26c03cdc55.jpg

2084dd03a35bef61e6dd8c110e03f7b9.jpg

8bfb53bfcd83447ed5954445a8132899.jpg

f1c6820621e5112ad3d8dd48df561e5f.jpg

c49e2dd9508ccccc977c687c8bfa2408.jpg

65f339c3b33aa4d176f6db5f0d2d4944.jpg

fd4455935870a536e2b75124ca381cf2.jpg

2ee70022ab55480a8057919d1f762843.jpg

b2921d0cfa7b966a1c0c9a2371d86fb0.jpg

8c1852c2e4f554ec85769e025a633d2d.jpg

First time making bacon. Followed bearcarver recipe and had some help from him along the way.

One mistake is I didn't have big enough bags to lie my pork belly flat to get equal cure. I cut a few pieces in half and put two pieces in one bag. I still have those double stacked bags curing to make sure they get enough time since the juices sit on the bottom.

Bacon turned out fine. I wouldn't say fantastic. I get picky on these things and expect them to be great. I probably cut the bacon too thick and the next round I make with the remaining pork belly in the fridge will be cut thinner. I will probably try leaving in freezer for 3 hours instead of 2. My slicer isn't that great and I think a little firmer would help for cutting thinner bacon.

I added Cajun to the bacon when sitting overnight and it is only slightly there for the taste. Not spicy at all. I plan on turning this thick bacon into candied cayenne bacon for a camping weekend coming up end of April.

Next batch will be black pepper, garlic and onion powder. Any suggestions from my pictures I'm more than happy to hear them and try to learn more. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last picture is some fat I cut off to add to the freezer. Planning on buying a Weber smoker 22.5. Going to use the bacon fat to help season the smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks Good from here, Scarps!! 
drool.gif

Just keep following my Step by Step, like you did, and next time put only one piece in each bag, with the amount of cure & Sugar for that one piece.

I've found I get best slicing with my slicer when I freeze between 3 and 4 hours just before slicing.

I like eating Thick cut Bacon, but I like it thin when I'm making BLTs.

Bear

Thanks Al !!
I just try to do a couple every time I log on.

I'll get there eventually.

Bear

Noting is familiar about this new fourm I don’t get posts anymore and have trouble posting my own. I may have to stop none of my questions are being answered and no one is responding to my posts.

Randy,

Noting is familiar about this new fourm I don’t get posts anymore and have trouble posting my own. I may have to stop none of my questions are being answered and no one is responding to my posts.

Randy,

Hang in there Randy.
It's new to all of us, and a lot of comments are being missed, because it's so much different.
That's probably the biggest reason your questions aren't getting answered.
I'm missing even more than I used to, because I'm still feeling my way around, and at the same time I'm struggling to straighten out all of my Step by Steps & replacing ALL of the Pics on them.

It will get better.

Bear

I am hoping to find somewhere that I can buy pork bellies around here (SW Iowa). I have made buckboard bacon, and like it... but I really want to try some belly bacon. Your instructions on here look very easy to follow.

I also found a recipe for Honey Cured bacon that I really want to try. Being a beekeeper, I have a pretty good supply of honey. ;)

I am hoping to find somewhere that I can buy pork bellies around here (SW Iowa). I have made buckboard bacon, and like it... but I really want to try some belly bacon. Your instructions on here look very easy to follow.

I also found a recipe for Honey Cured bacon that I really want to try. Being a beekeeper, I have a pretty good supply of honey. ;)

Here's a link to the Iowa Group.
Maybe somebody there can help you with finding Bellies in Iowa.

Iowa Smokers

Bear

Last edited:

Costco has them if you get around Omaha or Des Moines. Just did a 12 pounder that turned out better than first time.

Reactions: jslay
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky