BACON (Extra Smoky)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
popcorn.gif

I just bought my first 10 lb belly at Costco and cut it in half to make 5 lbs of bacon using this step by step. Well, it made 11 packages of 6 thick slices (hand cut, no slicer yet) and we have already gone through half of it. It's perfect. My wife insists I keep it coming.

I did a test slice before smoking and thought it was too salty, but just a tip, don't use the ends for the test as they have a higher salt taste. The final product was perfect.

Going to go back and buy another 10 lb belly and make it all into bacon. I used Apple pellets for 10 hrs (full AMNPS load) on the first batch in my MES 30 and may try hickory on the next batch.

If anyone thinks a particular pellet makes better smoke, please let me know.

Last edited:
I just bought my first 10 lb belly at Costco and cut it in half to make 5 lbs of bacon using this step by step. Well, it made 11 packages of 6 thick slices (hand cut, no slicer yet) and we have already gone through half of it. It's perfect. My wife insists I keep it coming.

I did a test slice before smoking and thought it was too salty, but just a tip, don't use the ends for the test as they have a higher salt taste. The final product was perfect.

Going to go back and buy another 10 lb belly and make it all into bacon. I used Apple pellets for 10 hrs (full AMNPS load) on the first batch in my MES 30 and may try hickory on the next batch.

If anyone thinks a particular pellet makes better smoke, please let me know.
That's Great, Milkman!!

I'm real glad you like it.

And that's a good point that I usually forget to mention:

When I do a salt-fry-test I usually take a slice from the middle of the thickest piece to check the color in the center, to make sure the cure got to the center, and a slice or two from an end to see how salty it is on the end pieces & the middle piece. If only the end pieces are salty, I'll soak it for a short time (Maybe 1/2 hour) to get rid of the surface salt.

I always use Todd's (Amazing Smoker) Pellets, and I use Hickory about 95% of the time.

Bear

That is a great idea with bacon ends!!! I am going to try that as well, mmmmm And Baked beans....mmmm

Those salty bacon ends were diced up and destined for a pot of soup with white beans. Should be outstanding.
I would do that too, but my Son wants them really bad. He loves them, just like the outer part of my Dried Beef. He says "Best Jerky ever made".

Bear

Bear,

I am completely new to smoking as you will be able to tell by my question.  But I am trying to learn everything I can thus the question.

Could you please tell me what your acronyms in your post mean:

AMNS

AMSPA

MES

TQ

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wendy

Bear,

I am completely new to smoking as you will be able to tell by my question.  But I am trying to learn everything I can thus the question.

AMNS
AMSPA
MES
TQ

Wendy

TQ - Morton Tender Quick Curing Salt

This is the basis of curing used in this thread. I get mine on Amazon for $10 / bag - prime.
You will see a lot of discussion of folks trying to find it as it's not in many grocery stores.

Works great

Reactions: wendy75

Bear,

AMNS---"A-Maze-N- Smoker" (A Maze that produces Smoke, by burning Saw Dust).----See the business card at the bottom of most pages on this forum:

AMNPS---"A-Maze-N-Smoker" (A Maze that burns either Sawdust or Wood Pellets to produce Smoke).

MES---"Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse" Electric Smoker.

TQ--- "Mortons Tender Quick" A Curing Mix made by Mortons Salt Company. I get it at a local Supermarket for $5.29 for a 2 pound bag.

Wendy
Bear

Reactions: wendy75
Here we go again. My better half just told me to make sure and not change anything. Bought a 10 lb belly at Costco and cut it in half with each 5 lb piece in a 2 gal ziplock bag. Now the waiting begins......
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
---That's Great !!

Bear

it's.....

I'm doing the top one today.  In the bags getting happy for the next 8 days or so.

Local butcher had a very good price $2.89/lb.  The top one was frozen all by itself, it really wanted to go home with me.  The bottom two were fresh in cryo-vac bags.  I had to buy both of them, he would not separate them.  Oh, what a delima I had. 

it's.....

I'm doing the top one today.  In the bags getting happy for the next 8 days or so.

Local butcher had a very good price $2.89/lb.  The top one was frozen all by itself, it really wanted to go home with me.  The bottom two were fresh in cryo-vac bags.  I had to buy both of them, he would not separate them.  Oh, what a delima I had. 
Oh Well---Gonna have a lot of Great Bacon!!  My kind of Dilemma. 
drool.gif

Bear

Looks Good, Milkman!!
drool.gif

Waiting for the Pics of the Sliced goodness!

Be back in a couple days.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky