Baby back ribs vs. Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoops10

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
NE Ohio
I successfully smoked my first Boston Butt a couple of weeks ago so now I'm attempting my first baby back ribs. I've be reading a lot about people using the 3-2-1 method so I'm thinking I will follow it, unless anyone suggests a different way. My question is I don't see anyone using the Maverick thermometer with baby back ribs, is internal temp not a concern when smoking baby back ribs? Are most smoking at 250* minimum temp? Thanks.

3-2-1 is for spare ribs. Use2-2-1 for baby backs. Most people use the bend test or toothpick test for doneness. I usually smoke them at 225*.

Bend test-pick up the rack of ribs by one end, the rack should bend enough that the meat starts to break away from the bone. Or a toothpick should slide in between the bones with little or no resistance.

Second on the 2-2-1 and the bend test. Temp on ribs isn't as big of a deal. You will be cooking it well past the "done" temp so you don't have to worry about that so the real test of whether or not your done is the tenderness.

yep....more like 2-2-1 for the first time out and then adjust for your tastes. Fall off the bone vs slight tug to the meat....foil or no foil etc. I'm a no foil, no spritz, no water pan type preferring a dry rubbed rib with sauce served on the side. If you have 2 racks you can do one foiled & one not to see your preference.. Opinions swing widely on this process and I don't know what unit you are smoking in so hard to gauge how difficult to maintain temps. But, like the man said....he runs at 225....I also run about the same, although with my electric smoker I get temps swings so probably in the area of 225-250. There will also be some pull back of the meat away from the tips of the bones....another indicator of them getting close to done....Have fun.....Willie

Sorry, I am using a MES 30. I did notice some temp swings when smoking the Boston Butt. I assume 2-2-1 means 2 hours in, then 2 hours with foil, then 1 without foil? If not using foil, then what does the 2-2-1 mean?

Last edited:
Sorry, I am using a MES 30. I did notice some temp swings when smoking the Boston Butt. I assume 2-2-1 means 2 hours in, then 2 hours with foil, then 1 without foil? If not using foil, then what does the 2-2-1 mean?
Yes 2-2-1 is 2 hours in the smoke, 2 foil, 1 smoke. If you aren't going to foil then you just leave them in for about 5 hours.

hoops be sure to pull the membrane, off the back of the ribs that will make them more tender.

Dumb question but what's that difference between baby back ribs vs. spare ribs when smoked? Just taste?

The babies require less work but if you do spares right they can be just as tender and juicy and I actually prefer them because they have more meat! Not much difference in flavor in my opinion.

Will do, membrane shouldn't be too hard to remove right?

To get the membrane off, slide a butter knife between membrane and bone on the short side to separate it then grab it with a paper towel and pull!! It should come right off. The fresher the ribs, the easier it is.

Dumb question but what's that difference between baby back ribs vs. spare ribs when smoked? Just taste?
They are a different cut from the pig with the spare ribs having more meat (and connective tissue). Some people don't like the extra connective tissue and fat on spare ribs but some people do (I am one of those people).

Spare-vs-Baby-Back-Ribs-via-foodlovercentral.com_.jpg

Let us know,   I'm sure that will be good

Gary

About to put the baby back ribs in, do you guys put the ribs in bones up or bones down?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky