• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Avocado Toast...PA style with Scrapple

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Here’s a fun little twist on breakfast. I recently tried avocado toast and I really enjoyed it so I figured I’d experiment a little.

Swapped out the toast with homemade scrapple.
023CB940-F5B2-4132-AAB7-D1A7340FFC7E.jpeg
B3E575B9-39E6-4123-9931-B8E76E1EE458.jpeg

A very tasty breakfast! I mashed one avocado with a little bit of salt, topped the scrapple with the mashed avocado, fried egg, hot chili flakes and a couple of dabs of sriracha.

Usually a recipe is always changed to a healthier alternative. I figured I could take a healthy recipe and bastardize it! Lol

Eat your heart out vegans!!!

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
now that looks interesting, not big on avocados but maybe the scrapple would over come that

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
I love scrapple and eggs, I can handle avocado also.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
It sure looks good!
That's for sure!!
Al

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
That Scrapple & Egg looks Great, X.
Hold the Green stuff here too.
Like.

Bear

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Reverse that for me :) not sure about this scrapple thing :) If its like headcheese I am a hard pass on texture alone. If it is more like pan pudding the heck yes!
now that looks interesting, not big on avocados but maybe the scrapple would over come that

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
That Scrapple & Egg looks Great, X.
Hold the Green stuff here too.
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear and thanks for the like. This was born out of boredom. There’s plenty of just scrapple and eggs in my future.

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Reverse that for me :) not sure about this scrapple thing :) If its like headcheese I am a hard pass on texture alone. If it is more like pan pudding the heck yes!
Scrapple nothing like the texture of headcheese, I shy away from that stuff.

I’ve never heard of pan pudding, is that liver? I always tell people that scrapple taste like a bacon flavored potato pancake (latke). Crispy outside, soft pillowy interior.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Scrapple and American Pan Pudding can be very similar. Spices may vary, meat used and may or may not contain Cornmeal.
Example...In PA, pork scraps, skin, offal and meat from Boiled Bones, is cooked with herbs and spices then ground Fine, then cookes, a second time, with the Cornmeal and some of the gelatinous broth. This is Panned and sets into Scrapple. Combine just the Ground meat a bit of broth for the gelatin and you got Pan Pudding or locally PUDDIN'.
Head Cheese can start out with similar meat, seasonings and preparation. But the simmered meat is just Chopped, coarsely, and cooled floating in the gelatinous broth. While the flavor can be similar, I'd say the Texture of Head Cheese is an acquired taste...JJ

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.