applecider vinegar brine?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bryanw20

Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Back as a kid, the amusement park near me made "BBQ" chickens' and I thought they were great (I think hey were 1/2's), cookedi n a huge cinder block pit with metal grates over them.

Anyway I asked someone if there was a recipe, they said 50/50 apple cider vinegar and melted butter, salt & pepper. and to add generous amounts to all sides while grilling.

Does this sound correct? if so, will it adapted to my smoker?

Thanks. I think I saw one in another post here, sounds better than 50/50 cider butter. I'll have to expirement.

I guess I'd want to continue to coat/mop it with the mixture. Using a silicone basting brush? Obviusly would ahve to make 2 'brines', you don't want to re-apply what raw chicken has been bathing in right?!

Sounds like when I was younger. I would baste the meat with 1 : 1 Vinegar and Water . Good , and was great with Carolina Sauce... Thanks for the kick in the memory...
drool.gif

Last edited:
Back as a kid, the amusement park near me made "BBQ" chickens' and I thought they were great (I think hey were 1/2's), cookedi n a huge cinder block pit with metal grates over them.

Anyway I asked someone if there was a recipe, they said 50/50 apple cider vinegar and melted butter, salt & pepper. and to add generous amounts to all sides while grilling.

Does this sound correct? if so, will it adapted to my smoker?
That was always my Pop's basting secret sauce, apple cider vinegar and butter and cooking oil. He mopped with it when grilling chicken halves. Well he added some salt and cracked black with it too. He always said the vinegar made 'em tender with a distintive kick, the butter/oil browned 'em perfectly. He mopped with a red rag wrapped around a stick and tied on with baling wire....LOL  Everytime without fail!

Everyone loved it. Even when cooking on a reefer grate over a camp fire in the ditch....ROFLMAO you'd have had to been there.

Its still how I grill to this day, used on chickens, ribs, crabs, oysters, etc etc.....

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky