Apple Sausage Pork Loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Pork loin is occasionally on sale for a decent price. That is great for bacon and loin hams but sometimes I want a smoked pork roast. The problem is pork loins can dry out. One of the ways I get around this is by stuffing it with either sausage or a moist bread stuffing. This time I added some apple to the stuffing for more moisture.

I started with a 2 pound pork loin roast. I put a cut end towards me and used a slicing knife to cut a slice about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick from the top of the roast, right to left, stopping 1/2 to 3/4 inch before cutting all the way through.

SMF Apple Sausage Pork Loin 02.jpg

I turned the roast 180 degrees and flipped the slice over like a book page. I took another right to left 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the top slice ending 1/2 to 3/4 inch before cutting through.

SMF Apple Sausage Pork Loin 03.jpg

Keep rotating and making partial 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices until the pork is one long strip.

SMF Apple Sausage Pork Loin 04.jpg

I mixed 325 grams (3/4 pound) of bulk breakfast sausage with 3/4 cups of peeled, diced apple and spread it over the pork, leaving 2 inches on one end uncovered.

SMF Apple Sausage Pork Loin 06.jpg

I rolled the roast up jelly roll style and tied it with butcher string.

SMF Apple Sausage Pork Loin 07.jpg

SMF Apple Sausage Pork Loin 08.jpg

I put 1 cup of chicken stock and 1 cup of large onion chunks in a roasting pan. I put a rack on the pan and put the roast on it.

SMF Apple Sausage Pork Loin 11.jpg

I put the roast in a 350 F smoker and smoked it to an internal temperature of 155 F using competition blend pellets.

SMF Apple Sausage Pork Loin 13.jpg

I tented the roast on a cutting board and defatted the liquid in the pan. I added enough chicken stock to make 1 1/2 cups and brought it to a boil. I put 25 ml (2 tablespoons) of flour and 50 ml (1/4 cup) of cold water in a sealable container and shook to mix. I added the mixture to the pan and cooked until thickened, about 5 to 6 minutes. Strain the gravy.

SMF Apple Sausage Pork Loin 15.jpg

Slice the roast and serve.

SMF Apple Sausage Pork Loin 16.jpg
SMF Apple Sausage Pork Loin 17.jpg
SMF Apple Sausage Pork Loin 18.jpg

The Verdict.

This had a great touch of apple, the sausage kept the pork moist and the gravy was delicious. I do love a roast pork.

Disco

Boy o boy Disco. That looks fantastic. I have done stuffed pork loin but never added more meat. Gotta try it

Looks great. The one we did for last month's throwdown we cut the same way but in the other direction.
_DSC0139.JPG

Nice work disco! Have two in the freezer I’m going to experiment w. Did one this weekend that I cold smoked for 4 hrs, Sous Vide for 4 and charmed on the grill. Tasty! But DRY:(

You know I was thinking of getting a loin and this inspires me to try the rolled roast thing. I needed a new idea for the smoker and messing around with some rolled roasts might get me back in the game! Thanks Disco!

That looks like a real tasty meal Disco, Nice job.

Point for sure.
Chris

Disco looks good from my seat,I roast mine with browned sauerkraut stays nice an moist. LIKES
Richie

Nice work disco! Have two in the freezer I’m going to experiment w. Did one this weekend that I cold smoked for 4 hrs, Sous Vide for 4 and charmed on the grill. Tasty! But DRY:(
I have had problems with dry loins too. I have to stuff or cook with moist heat. I am surprised the sealed sous vide didn't give a moist result.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky