Anyone have a ham salad recipe to share?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nate85

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 19, 2010
Looking for a good ham salad recipe, I’ve tried a couple from online but there missing something

Looking for a good ham salad recipe, I’ve tried a couple from online but there missing something
No ,,, and maybe . My Dad made some great ham salad . i'm ashamed that I didn't find that stuff out while he was still living .
Nate , I'm going out there this week . I'll ask my Mom and see if she has it . Let you know later this week .

Reactions: nate85
I make a ham salad that's a big hit with my family and friends. Unfortunately I don't use a written recipe. Basically it's just double smoked ham fed through a food processor. Add a couple of splashes of dill pickle juice, a few shakes of garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. Mix in enough mayo to achieve desired thickness/consistency. Once in a while I'll add some Franks hot sauce to spice it up. Sorry it's not very exciting or detailed but it works for us.

Chris

Chris , that sounds about like what my Dad made . I think it's the pickle juice .

Not ham salad but MIL made wicked good bologna salad but I imagine it would be very similiar. More going on with it than those here. Hard boiled eggs, diced onion, mustard, relish, mayo, bologna/ham from memory.

I'll see if we have my grandma's ham salad recipe around.

Not sure how good it was, but my dad liked his mom's ham salad, but I can't recall her making it when we visited. If we have it I'll share it if I can with out offending the family ;)

Though I bet it'll be close to what Chris did. Some staples never change!

I chop up the ham in fine pieces. Add pickle relish, miracle whip, pepper, salt, a touch of dill. Mix it up. And let it rest for a hour or two. I just go by taste and texture.

This sounds about right to me. I don't think anybody has a ham salad recipe written down, It's just basically ham, pickles, & pickle juice, Hellman's & some hot sauce if you like it spicy. Just keep tasting it until it tastes like you want it, and hope you can do it the same the next time. That's how I make it, and a lot of other recipes too. I know the basic ingredients & then go by taste.
Al

To me, deviled ham and ham salad are 2 different things. As usual there will be some crossover. Any "salad" ie: tuna, bologna, etc must have celery, onion, and egg. The reason I say this as I've had much more success finding GOOD recipes I liked once I learned that many dishes can be called different names and looking for the variants. If deviled ham is what you are looking for I believe it's cream cheese not mayo. Have not had it a long time, but as I type this double smoked ham would probably be wicked good in deviled ham... ;)

To me, deviled ham and ham salad are 2 different things. As usual there will be some crossover. Any "salad" ie: tuna, bologna, etc must have celery, onion, and egg. The reason I say this as I've had much more success finding GOOD recipes I liked once I learned that many dishes can be called different names and looking for the variants. If deviled ham is what you are looking for I believe it's cream cheese not mayo. Have not had it a long time, but as I type this double smoked ham would probably be wicked good in deviled ham... ;)

Sam, I agree if your making it as a standalone or on top of a green salad, but if the intent is to use it as a spread then I would forgo the celery, onion and egg. Since the OP didn't specify, he now has multiple choices.

Chris

Wow thanks everyone for the replies! I was looking for the spread type but what I kept trying had the egg, celery, and onion and wasn’t what I had before that I really liked. Those other recipes you guys posted seam to be more of what I’m looking for! Can’t wait to try it out this weekend!

We actually looked and looked and called my aunt and.. all we have is 'Ham ran through a meatgrinder, chopped up pickles, mayo. If we were lucky, maybe a hardboiled egg and some minced onion. Ample salt and pepper."

My grandma definitely just knew how to cook. Her recipe was meant to be spread on toast for a meal. I am not sure if I ever had it with any hardboiled eggs added, but her recipes grew from the depression era, so I can understand why it would be added.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky