Alabama Smoked Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I had friends coming over and wanted to make a couple of chickens. As I was doing two, I felt like I could risk an experiment. I made some Alabama Q Sauce by mixing together the following:

• 250 ml (1 cup) mayonnaise
  • 20 ml (4 tsp) apple cider vinegar
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
  • 10 ml (2 tsp) sugar
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) prepared horseradish
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) lemon juice
  • 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1.5 ml (1/4 tsp) onion powder

Alabama Q Sauce 1.jpg

I spatchcocked the chicken and gave it a rub of Creole spices on the skin and under the breast and thigh skin. I put it on a 350 F pellet smoker and smoked to an internal temperature of 165 F.

Alabama Smoked Chicken 1.jpg

Alabama Smoked Chicken 2.jpg

I brushed with the Q sauce and cooked for another 20 to 30 minutes. I let the chicken rest for 10 minutes an cut it into serving size pieces.

Alabama Smoked Chicken 3.jpg

The Verdict

This tastes great but the white sauce gave the skin a lighter colour. My company loved and didn't find the colour a problem as the skin was tasty. I served it with Q sauce in a bowl and it was spooned over the pieces and thoroughly enjoyed!

Disco

Last edited:
That looks great, good job. Always like seeing the variety of ways to do things on this forum. Thanks for sharing that

Reactions: disco
Looks Great
Did you do them both the same way the other one looks a little darker
I did two chickens. The second was done with Koss Sauce and is therefore darker. I will post that chicken tomorrow or the next day.

Those chickens look fantastic Disco. I can't quite make out the ingredients from the pic. Can you list them and their quantities. Good to see you back posting.

Point for sure.

Chris

"Thanks! I have learned a lot from SMF!"

You have also contributed a lot, which I've learned an immense amount from. Thank you Disco, great to see you again, and the chicken looks fantastic!!

Robert

Those chickens look fantastic Disco. I can't quite make out the ingredients from the pic. Can you list them and their quantities. Good to see you back posting.

Point for sure.

Chris
My medication needs adjusting. I have added them to the post but they are:

• 250 ml (1 cup) mayonnaise
  • 20 ml (4 tsp) apple cider vinegar
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
  • 10 ml (2 tsp) sugar
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) prepared horseradish
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) lemon juice
  • 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1.5 ml (1/4 tsp) onion powder

Reactions: funkadelik
"Thanks! I have learned a lot from SMF!"

You have also contributed a lot, which I've learned an immense amount from. Thank you Disco, great to see you again, and the chicken looks fantastic!!

Robert
Blushing here!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky