Velveting Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Interesting, what impact does it have on the ground beef for chili or soups?

Texture would be much softer, my guess.
Yup. Pretty much the same as it does for strips. It gives it more of a "sausage-like" texture vs a drier lean ground meat texture is probably the best way I can describe it. It's quite nice, I highly recommend it.

Yeah been doing that for a while with my Stir Fry's Found that tip while looking up a Wok recipe. Very good thing to know. Your meal looks Awesome!!

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Egg whites also velvet meat very well. Baking soda is easier, as you end up needing to pass the meat though a hot water bath to finish the process before you toss it into hot oil, but thinly sliced pork is divine when you use egg white and cornstarch.

I like the almost slippery 'coating' egg white and cornstarch forms. It's not a crust or a batter but it's there.

as you end up needing to pass the meat though a hot water bath to finish the process

Is this with the egg whites or the baking soda ??

I just did breast with baking soda... only rinsed with cool water... To late anyways... It's in the pan browning ...

Is this with the egg whites or the baking soda ??

I just did breast with baking soda... only rinsed with cool water... To late anyways... It's in the pan browning ...
With the egg whites. You mix up the meat and egg (about 1 white will do 1.5-3lbs of meat, it goes a long way) and then you toss in a spoonful or 2 of cornstarch. Pass them through a bit of barely simmering oil with a good shot of oil in it for maybe 30 seconds. Then stir fry or toss them onto a hot blackstone or however you like to finish a stir fry type meal.

I'm not much on chicken, but I tell ya - ya gotta do this with thin lean pork just once. Like SmokinE say's, it's ridiculously good.

I forget where I learned this but I have done this for years except a little differently.... I thin slice my chicken, add baking soda (about a tsp per pound), but then I put just enough water in the bowl to cover the chicken. You can actually see it bubbling a little bit as it interacts with the meat. I let chicken soak for 5 to 10 minutes and then rinse it off really well before throwing it on the griddle. It is a game changer for home made asian cooking.

I use the egg white and corn starch method when I use beef to make mongolian beef and such. That is deep fried though instead of on a griddle or wok.

I have never thought about using either method with pork but I need to try it.

Thanks for the tip Eric. With the crap meat they're selling around here these days any help is appreciated.

Point for sure
Chris

If using baking soda, does it have to be rinsed off? Also, would this work on canned meat?
Yes, the meat needs to be rinsed well. If not. The end product has a filmy gooey texture. I don't know about using this technique with canned meat.

If using baking soda, does it have to be rinsed off? Also, would this work on canned meat?
As already said. Rise and dry before cooking.

As to the canned meat, I don’t think it will help as the muscle structure changed dramatically in the cooking process, however, you could velvet the meat and then can it. That would work just fine.

Here I go, trying something different. I have some thin-ish pork shoulder steaks. They are 1/2 to 5/8” thick. I’m going to throw these on the pellet machine and get some smoke on them for tacos tonight, I will slice them thin and not over cook them.
So I’ll start with some baking soda on both sides, I used 1/2 Tbs split between all 3 on one side then repeat on the flip side. Rub that in then dust with Kinders Carne asada rub, both sides. These will now sit 3-4 hours then go on the grill. I’m excited.

IMG_1937.jpeg

IMG_1938.jpeg

Here I go, trying something different. I have some thin-ish pork shoulder steaks. They are 1/2 to 5/8” thick. I’m going to throw these on the pellet machine and get some smoke on them for tacos tonight, I will slice them thin and not over cook them.
So I’ll start with some baking soda on both sides, I used 1/2 Tbs split between all 3 on one side then repeat on the flip side. Rub that in then dust with Kinders Carne asada rub, both sides. These will now sit 3-4 hours then go on the grill. I’m excited.

View attachment 691444
View attachment 691445
Watching. I'm wondering how they'll turn out not being rinsed of the baking soda.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky