Adirondack Chair Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2017
Iowa
I needed a place to sit and be lazy while the smoker is running....

Adirondack Chair made from pine that was burnt and then finished with a satin polyurethane.

1618402029338.png

1618402045753.png

1618402060010.png

Superb. Did you use any draw plans you can share?

I used the plans from Kreg Jig but I modified them in a few ways... the biggest change is instead of using nails to hold down the seat slats I used pocket holes/screws from underneath and the drawing have a couple of errors in them in relation to which way pocket holes go - #1 is on the Arm Rails and #2 is on the Arm Brace.

Great looking chair. Now you just need a table to put the cooler at the right height so you dont have to stretch for the next cold drink.
Jim

I thought about putting a cup holder in the arm rest LOL - didn't make that happen though.

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Nice handy work! I’ve been scouring plans lately looking at chairs for our porch. We’re shorter so getting in and out of Adirondack chairs is a chore.
This is definitely not a tall chair at all

Very nice work. From one wood worker to another

Thank you!

nice looking chair! great work!

Thank you!

Nice work . I like the torch finish .

Thank you! I've done torch work before with a small hand held propane torch, but I've invested in a weed burner and it made such quick work of this process! Took about 15 minutes to do all 29 boards vs 10-15 minutes per board with the smaller torch.

That looks great. Did you use 5/4" boards? That's traditionally used on Adirondack chairs.

RG

Nope.. just used 3/4 pine.. the plans called for cedar but with the price of lumber these days I went with the cheaper wood. This is definitely not a traditional chair.

I built a couple dozen of those things, even a adirondack love seat. But I built them years ago when I had my wood shop. I did use cedar & they lasted for years. Every couple of years I would give them a coat of tung oil.
The color of yours is just beautiful. Very nice work , now you will be making them for the neighbors!
Al

Reactions: kilo charlie
Nice Job!!
Looks Great !!
Like.
Good Luck on that Poly.
Nothing held up on my Bears. Even Marine Varnish had to be repainted every 2 years, due to the UV rays. I had to bring them all in, out of the Sun!!

Bear

Reactions: crazymoon
I built a couple dozen of those things, even a adirondack love seat. But I built them years ago when I had my wood shop. I did use cedar & they lasted for years. Every couple of years I would give them a coat of tung oil.
The color of yours is just beautiful. Very nice work , now you will be making them for the neighbors!
Al

Yea I would have liked to use cedar but with the pandemic stuff still affecting things it's all in scarce supply in my area. I'm sure the tung oil would be much easier than the poly to recoat!

Not sure the neighbors would be willing to pay the price due to lumber costs these days LOL

Nice Job!!
Looks Great !!
Like.
Good Luck on that Poly.
Nothing held up on my Bears. Even Marine Varnish had to be repainted every 2 years, due to the UV rays. I had to bring them all in, out of the Sun!!

Bear

I've used the poly on some indoor projects but never one intended to sit out in the sun.. thanks for the heads up. I may just have to keep it in the garage when it's not in use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky