A trip to New Orleans without leaving home.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danblacksher

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
Brandon, Mississippi
I made New Orleans shrimp and hot ham and cheese poboys tonight. Holy Moly was they good! I started by making New Orleans French bread from scratch then fried the shrimp and added some homemade mayo a slice of sharp cheddar cheese and a slice of tomato. Used my deli slicer to slice a boneless ham I smoked with cheddar! Laissez les bons temps rouler! (Let the Good times roll)!
1A85B2F9-6B29-425F-9198-5EAE9D637F64.jpeg
D1ADE8A4-9B53-49A1-9C84-390611CF547E.jpeg
13466E70-DFE6-444D-921D-1EDBFEE1DE03.jpeg
F8A5A09F-B368-4432-9135-28D86F3F45E3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great looking sandwich Dan! The homemade bun had to be great with it!

Ryan

New Orleans french bread

75-80 grams for buns or rolls

Around 300 grams for 4 loafs

Ingredients

Instructions

• Pour the water into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar, stir, sprinkle with the yeast, and allow to sit for 15 minutes, until frothy and bubbling.
  • Add the remaining tablespoon of sugar, olive oil, 5 cups flour, and salt. Use a spatula to bring the ingredients together into a shaggy dough.
  • Place the bowl on the mixer fitted with a dough hook, and mix the dough at medium speed for 8 minutes. The dough should form a ball and pull away from the sides of the bowl. Add more flour, a few tablespoons at a time, if the dough seems too sticky.
  • Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead by hand for a minute or two.
  • Lightly coat the mixing bowl with cooking spray or oil. Return the dough to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow it to rise in a draft-free place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
  • After the first rise, deflate the dough and divide it into four equal pieces. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes, then shape each piece into a ball and cover with greased plastic wrap, while you prepare a clean, lightly floured (or lightly greased) work surface. The plastic wrap will keep any waiting dough soft and moist as you shape the loaves.
  • Roll each piece of dough into a 16" x 3" log. Place on two parchment-lined baking sheets, putting two on each pan. Flatten the logs slightly; they should be a bit less round than a typical baguette, with more interior surface area for sandwich fillings. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let them rise for 1 hour.
  • While the loaves are rising, place racks in the center and upper third of your oven and preheat to 375°F.
  • Place the risen loaves in the oven and bake them for 30 minutes, or until they're deep golden brown. Rotate the baking sheets halfway through the baking time (top to bottom, bottom to top). Remove the bread from the oven and cool it on a rack before using it to make sandwiches.
  • Yield: 4 loaves.

Now that's a sammie. Well done.

Point for sure
Chris

Sounds like what my wife Judy makes, but her’s are French baguettes.

A80BFA08-0135-48EB-9F47-1285DED812C1.jpeg

But either one would sure make a great Sammie, and both of yours look delicious!
Al

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky