SMF Premier Member
- Nov 8, 2016
Jerseys hands down for meI just love sub style sandwiches, but I’ve only had a few franchise sandwiches that I like, Subway not being one of them. Jimmy John’s isn’t bad but over all kind of bland and the bread is to chewy. Jersey Mike is ok but kinda low on flavor and not a fan of the bread, though it’s not a deal breaker.
Here is what I like in a sub style sandwich.
1) Bread more like a French style, light outer crust, light over all and soft on the inside, and not to thick.
2) Real mayo on that bread and don’t be to stingy.
3) Quality thinly slices meats, and a nice portion.
4) Cheese, Provolone is at the top, but Munster is good too.
5) Thin sliced onion, iceburg lettuce and tomato. These must be thin and freshly sliced. Pilled good but not too high.
6) Salt and pepper over that.
7) A good dose of quality wine vinegar with oil.
I like mustard and pickles too, but for a rank and file sandwich those items vary to much for my liking. In the perfect sandwich they are key but must be what you like.
We have a local shop that makes really good subs along these lines. They are exceptional, but also pretty expensive.
I’ve made some lunch meats, want to make more variety of them also. Homemade is so much better or can be.
My struggle is with bread. I think I want more of a New Orleans style Po-Boy roll but thin. Then I could make my perfect sub sandwich at home.
Whats you guys preferred sub style sandwich? Just curious.
Thanks for any replies.