85 minute Naked Spare Ribs

Discussion in 'Pork' started by fwismoker, Aug 23, 2014.

1. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

Found a great deal at Wally world on some St Louis...it was a chunky sucker too, 5 lbs in all.  Scored the membrane up, rubbed up with olive oil then Simply Marvelous and some Jamaican jerk dry rub.  Nothing wrong with low and slow but these sure as good or better as when I used to 3-2-1. 

Here's the back side, a bone already fell out pulling out the smoker. Thanks for looking!

2. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great looking ribs! Nice Qview too.

Disco

3. fwismoker

Hey thanks Disco!   This is part of a little rib project i'm working on and so far it's been the best ribs I've produced or had anywhere.   Oh and no more waiting 3-6 hours for ribs. lol

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  4. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks great Keith!  How do you like that Simply Marvelous Rub?  I've been thinkin' about ordering some of their rubs to try...which one are you using?  I've been wanting to try their Pecan Rub and their Sweet & Spicy Rub.

Red

5. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

What temp is your smoker running at to get them done in 85 minutes? What type of smoker?

They do look delicious!

6. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Give us some more info.

Your Ribs look good , but we need more input , temp. , heat , any thing you did (spritz , mop , look at them a few times ).

Have fun and . . .

7. grillmonkey

grillmonkey Smoking Fanatic

Yeah! Help us out. I'm hurting in the rib category, and I'm trying to put together some step-by-step recipes to try so I can up my game.

8. fwismoker

The temps are really varying but the average might be averaging 450* to 500*.  
    old school I'll give full details on this hopefully within 6 months or so.... see I'm doing some R&D on some BBQ equipment I want to eventually market.  (knock on wood)  So far all the ribs have finished the best I've had or done....But yes i'm spritzing with water through the cook but have done it without.  I figure the water helps on smoke ring for the short cook though.   I really think this equipment and technique will change how lots of people feel about cooking ribs.    
    Red I'm becoming a fan of the simply marvelous for sure.  Yes get the pecan!!!    Pecan and the regular is all i've had so far but the pecan is the BOMB!
    I'll share what I've learned soon but I know about wanting to up the game.  My ribs are 50 times better now then a couple of years ago. 

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  9. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great lookin ribbies Keith, them look tasty for sure ! :beercheer:

10. fwismoker

Thanks Justin!  Yea I was pleased for sure with how they came out.   

11. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

HMMMMMM????????????????

Looks great Keith.

12. fwismoker

Thanks Adam.     So what's the hmmmmm???? all about?  LOL.       These couldn't have been better if they were perfect 3-2-1 .   You're welcome to come over for the next batch of ribs but it'll be a road trip!   

13. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Tasty looking ribs! But I got to tell ya that nuking them in the Microwave is in no way smoking no matter how much wood you're throwing in there, lol!

14. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

If you need someone to help test prototypes...

15. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Just thinking.        [​IMG]

16. fwismoker

Don't be spraining anything Adam! ;)
    Thanks Case....So liquid smoke with boiling and nuking wood chunks doesn't count as smoking huh?   [​IMG]      Back to the ole drawing board i guess!   [​IMG]  

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  17. yotzee

yotzee Smoking Fanatic

85 minutes is great, but that really cuts down the number of beers I drink while smoking ribs

[​IMG]

18. fwismoker

LOL, I haven't solved that problem yet.  Drink faster higher alcohol content beers?    Just throwing out ideas. [​IMG]

19. Hello Keith.  Hope you and your's are doing well.  Long time no speak!  I have held my tongue for quite a while here but am glad others are getting great results at higher temps.  I have always used higher temps.for most things.  Having said that it does take some experience and I think we should still advise new folks about 2-2-1 and 3-2-1 BUT once you find your feet low and slow is not the only way.  It does have it's place!!!  I could tell you stories. privately.  Keep Smokin my friend.  Great post.

Danny

20. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

It's pretty obvious Keith is marketing this to all the wives out there that have complained about their husbands drinking while smoking or smoking while drinking problems.

I can see it now " look honey I bought you this great new smoker, brisket in an hour, ribs in minutes..."

Better watch out once the beer mafia gets wind of this it's gonna be all over!!!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014