Vortex 50 Minute Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Second time doing these and wont be the last. Got this method from mossymo mossymo . I used to do Jim Lampe's kettle 400ºF Baby Back Ribs which are good but like this way better now. Cut ribs up and seasoned with Atkins BBQ rub. Let sit in fridge for few hours. Got some potato salad going. Everyone seems to love mine.

IMG_20230311_161904293.jpg

In to the kettle for 40 minutes.

IMG_20230311_164532981.jpg

Got some okra going. I know some say don't like okra but think maybe just not had it cook right. That deep fried stuff is not the way to do it. I have better luck with the frozen pre-breaded stuff than breading my own. Okra is best fried slow about 280 - 300 degrees. Slowly pour oil into cast iron pan until it just touches the edge of pan. Bring up to 325 and add frozen okra. Now keep temp no hotter than 300 turning every so often. Will take about 30 minutes. Get it nice and crispy. Season as soon as it comes out of pan. Cooked this way it will still be crispy the next day.

IMG_20230311_171001189_HDR.jpg IMG_20230311_170152047.jpg

At the 40 minute mark temp ribs. They were 185. Like to get over 200. Another 7 minutes and ready. Sauced them and returned to grill for 5 minutes. Man are these good.

IMG_20230311_171247412_HDR.jpg IMG_20230311_171827390_HDR.jpg

Plated. Left over ribs are really good right out of fridge cold.

IMG_20230311_172602166_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely done Brian. I've seen that method before, but never tried it. Looks real good.

Point for sure
Chris

Love grilled ribs and use mostly country style, hit or miss on tenderness sometimes with baby backs, yours look great

Looks great Brian, Will have try this if I am in a time crunch. Never had okra before....not even sure if I can get it here?

These are going to be in a regular rotation now. I really like them. Did have some smoke and even some smoke ring. I normal dont sauce to much but it really nice on these. I got to say just eating them cold out of the fridge where really good!

Wow! Didn’t know you could do ribs this way. Cool beans! Great post and write up!

Thanks Justin. Give them a try.
Nicely done Brian. I've seen that method before, but never tried it. Looks real good.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris. I would say worth a try.
Love grilled ribs and use mostly country style, hit or miss on tenderness sometimes with baby backs, yours look great
Thanks Mike. I have throw in the towel on CSR.
Some fine innovative work there Brian, never heard of using the Vortex for ribs, yours look great! RAY
Thanks Ray.

These are going to be in a regular rotation now. I really like them. Did have some smoke and even some smoke ring. I normal dont sauce to much but it really nice on these. I got to say just eating them cold out of the fridge where really good!
Great looking ribs Brian and the whole plate
Love doing singles.
Potato salad is always a hit here , I have never tried Okra. will have to think about them

David
Thanks David. I get rave reviews from mine. Your last sliced ribs looked Awesome!
And I thought I cooked ribs fast at 150 minutes! Looks tasty!
Thanks. Is Lindy your name?
Looks great Brian, Will have try this if I am in a time crunch. Never had okra before....not even sure if I can get it here?
Thanks Cliff. I may end up doing these more than smoking now.

Those looks tasty Brian! I use to do hot and fast ribs often, seeing these I might have to do them again soon.

Second time doing these and wont be the last. Got this method from mossymo mossymo . I used to do Jim Lampe's kettle 400ºF Baby Back Ribs which are good but like this way better now. Cut ribs up and seasoned with Atkins BBQ rub. Let sit in fridge for few hours. Got some potato salad going. Everyone seems to love mine.

View attachment 659872

Was this a rack of baby backs? I want to try them. I've always done the 2-2-1 method for baby backs.

Dang son! A plate to make this Mississippi boy cry. Ribs, tater salad, a slice of onion, and fried okra. Dont get no better than that!!!

Jim

Great job Brian! I remember when mossymo mossymo did them, I've wanted to try them since then... keep forgetting! That tater salad looks awesome!

Ryan

Reactions: mossymo
I stopped by store to get another rack to do again tonight but forgot this was a digital deal and I all ready used. I have some in freezer that I going to pull out for later.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky