30 day black garlic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LoydB

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 31, 2022
After a month on the back porch in the rice cooker, I've got 1.5# of black garlic. Squid ink and black garlic salami will be on the menu soon.

Attachments

• black-garlic-round-2-1.jpg
    black-garlic-round-2-1.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 22
  • black-garlic-round-2-2.jpg
    black-garlic-round-2-2.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 21
phatfoodz phatfoodz Thanks!

leont leont After the first time I tasted a pasta dish with it, I knew I had to make it. It has such a different flavor than garlic, very rich and umami.

Looks like parchment or wax paper. Did you also vacuum seal?
Most people suggest slow cooker on low. Not heard of using rice cooker. How do you trick the rice cooker to not kick off and what temp did it maintain?

Been wanting to try but can't convince my wife to let me occupy a slow cooker appliance for that long.

Hold on. What is this? I need more of an explanation.
It's an Asian thing... Take garlic and hold it at about 140*F for 30-60 days. This changes the chemical make up of the garlic and it is LOADED with savory umami. It is also very healthy for lowering bad cholesterol.

Can also do it in a sous vide machine....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky