2015 South Florida Gathering (5th Annual) November 13th-15th

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Last year public voting was a nightmare and the year before was a bit of a hassle also. The first 2 years when we have the park staff voting aided in the ease of voting, but once they stopped and we had to get random people thats where it became a hassle.

I dont think the blind judging is going to be hard at all..since we have many more people coming this year the "drop a coin in a cup" technique would be easy and its unlikley the voting would be skewed. Sure if a person's husband, wife, kid, or brother makes something they are prone to vote for them...but there are many others around to balance this out. And its all for fun (and swag) anyway which lightens the voting process.

I think the sauce, side item, desert, cocktail competitions are much less time consuming then Chicken and Ribs so i think those could still work if we have a good majority of people that want to make them. In the past i think we lost alot of leisure/banter time when the Saturday routine went like this....breakfast around 8/9ish > clean up > get ready for ribs and chicken > get chicken in smoker > hangout for a big but still prepare ribs for cooking > ribs in smoker > chicken out > chicken judging (lasts atleast an hour) > lunch ....and ect for ribs, dinner and judging. 

So taking away the meat comps that take much longer will alleviate those strict time constraints. In my opinion.

Whatever we end up doing i know we are all gonna have some fun! Games, all day food, Pig Pickin' for dinner with awesome sides and deserts! I cant wait!!

Wait a minute here Mr. Mays. This is a smoking meat forum. How can we not have a meat comp? Maybe chicken comp for lunch? Cooks fast and we do need something to eat for lunch. Side dish and dessert comp at dinner time?

I agree with things feeling rushed and not much time to socialize with everything that was done in the past on Saturday.

The only reason I would say to do any comps is just for fun. If we are doing a whole pig, I say no rib comp, do the sauce one instead. We are going to need sauce and they can be made ahead of time. I can swing by Sonny's on my way to get mine.....

Sides comp, we are going to need sides, so why not.......

Dessert same reasoning.......

I am not a fan of bringing outside judging again. It was way too long and dramatic. Weather it be a coin in a cup or a ballet with a number, I really dont care because either way can be done after we all eat our HOT food while it is fresh. Not feed some people not with our group first and they get first pickings.......... anyone is welcome, but last year was horrible with that group of judges....... I mentioned the buying extra tickets only as a way to give back to the Campgrounds. They have always been very nice to us and never gave us an issue with all of our smokers going.

I would still be game for some sausage making, but only on Thursday or Friday. Saturday needs to be more relaxed.....

Now for the cocktail comp........ that is a must.......I can hear the blenders now

I agree the sauce comp could be perfect for the pig eating later on! Also agree on the Sides and Desert. 

I knew your Ribs had a very distinct Sonny's taste last year ;)

And yes, no outside judging...ballots or chips. I like the idea of giving back to the camp ground. Every year i've told the Ranger at the gate that if they wanted to come by for some food that they are more then welcome but staff seems to never take us up on it.

i'll update the first page for food/comp sign up for saturday

Uh-Oh Jeramy, your secret is out.

Doug, it might be a good gesture this year to take a plate to the rangers working on Sat. Bet they would not turn it away.

We will be gone the entire month of August, taking the motorhome and touring the entire south Shore of Lake Superior in Michigan's U.P. But when we return, we will be getting ready for our annual Ribfest that we put on for the local car clubs here at the house. We will be hosting that on the last Saturday of September if your are interested in attending. We will end up with about 50 old cars and street rods at the event. I'll be cooking 5 cases of ribs and another monster brisket.

Van if you see this, you are also invited, along with any of the South Fla. Gathering crew. No need to bring anything but your appetite. If interested let me or Doug know for directions to the event.

Doug, it might be a good gesture this year to take a plate to the rangers working on Sat. Bet they would not turn it away.

We will be gone the entire month of August, taking the motorhome and touring the entire south Shore of Lake Superior in Michigan's U.P. But when we return, we will be getting ready for our annual Ribfest that we put on for the local car clubs here at the house. We will be hosting that on the last Saturday of September if your are interested in attending. We will end up with about 50 old cars and street rods at the event. I'll be cooking 5 cases of ribs and another monster brisket.

Van if you see this, you are also invited, along with any of the South Fla. Gathering crew. No need to bring anything but your appetite. If interested let me or Doug know for directions to the event.
Great idea on bringing food to the Rangers working! 

Sounds like a great road trip, i'm jealous! If i get my studebaker fixed up by them maybe i'll drive it up to your event! Started it up last night after months of sitting (my fault) and gas was spewing out of the carburetor...thinking the gasket is bad?

I might be interested in making the trip. I have 7 classics, and at least 2 would be a nice drive from Bradenton to Lake City. Would probably bring the '57 T- bird weather permitting.

Great idea on bringing food to the Rangers working! 

Sounds like a great road trip, i'm jealous! If i get my studebaker fixed up by them maybe i'll drive it up to your event! Started it up last night after months of sitting (my fault) and gas was spewing out of the carburetor...thinking the gasket is bad?

More than likely your carboration float is stuck. Try starting it again and then tap the sides of the carb with a good size wrench. I'd that doesn't free it up, you'll have to take the top off the carb and clean the needle and seat with a q-tip and some lacquer thinner.

Last edited:
More than likely your carboration float is stuck. Try starting it again and then tap the sides of the carb with a good size wrench. I'd that doesn't free it up, you'll have to take the top off the carb and clean the needle and seat with a q-tip and some lacquer thinner.
Thanks Steve! I'll give that a try tonight! Hopefully i dont have to take the carb apart...that scares the crap out of me haha

There's more than one way to clean out an ole carburetor. I'm looking forward to the cocktail competition! Just read a article on Hemingway's favorite beverage. Also got some fresh cut mangos in the freezer. Don't want to give too many ides way before the gathering starts...

Craig & Ann

There's more than one way to clean out an ole carburetor. I'm looking forward to the cocktail competition! Just read a article on Hemingway's favorite beverage. Also got some fresh cut mangos in the freezer. Don't want to give too many ides way before the gathering starts...

Craig & Ann
I like it! I'm gathering ideas as well :)

Smokin Monkey,

Looks like you had a great turn out and did it up right with the big banner!  So what did you all cook up?

Good to see smoking meats is a global event.

Craig

Reactions: gary s
Steve,

That looks like a smoking good feast! My buddy used to live there but his stories of Blood pudding & beef & kidney pie are a far cry from what you guys are making.

Good food, good friends & camping, it doesn't get any better than that. Well maybe a pint or two...

Curious, So what type of camping do you do? Caravanning or tents?

Craig

Really Nice, what chassis is that on?

We have a 22' Jayco Featherweight trailer. About the same size as your camper. Some folks here have some mega size RVs but ours is more manageable size for towing with the Trailblazer.

I'm really impressed with some of the trailers over there, ultra-lite fro the size & low slung to the road. They look like they are easy to tow.

Craig

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky