More Friends, More Dino Ribs (Lotsa Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
This has been a most unusual Summer. Typically we are on the lake with the boat every Saturday, spend some time just cruising around, then head to our friends' dock about 40 miles up the lake to hang out all afternoon. It's been so hot that we feel like we're torturing ourselves being out there so the boat has only been out twice this year. Add to that we're in a severe drought and the lake is about 50 feet low, that can make for some dangerous boating. ?All sorts of evil stuff starts showing up when the water is down that far. Needless to say, we have not seen our friends but a couple times this year so decided to invite them over for pool, (margaritas), and dinner. they asked for Dino ribs...aw shucks :emoji_laughing: That just breaks my heart.

The culprit. 4 ribs weighing in at almost 6 pounds. These things are enormous.
004.jpg

They are about 2 1/2" thick.
005.jpg

Seasoned with Jeff's Texas rub. Went a bit lighter with the rub this time. Got a little heavy handed last time and they were just a tad too salty.
006.jpg

Onto the smoker about 8:30 or so at 250. Anticipating an 8 hour cook +/-
007.jpg

Close enough
008.jpg

Early morning TBS. This is what we live for :emoji_wink: I actually fired the smoker up about 7:30 to test a couple of mods I did over the past week.
003.jpg

At the 3 hour mark. Color is looking good so far.
009.jpg

Even though Evelyn was bringing a pasta salad, Tracy wanted me to make a Mexican street corn salad that she's fallen in love with.
010.jpg

At the 5 hour mark. OOPS!! They are probing tender all the way through and are done......3 hours earlier than anticipated. Shut the smoker down and just let them sit to keep warm. Nice color and got some good pull-back going
011.jpg

Into the house just before 5:00 to slice and get dinner going.
012.jpg

Sliced. Nice and juicy throughout and cut like butter.
013.jpg

The whole spread including the pasta salad Evelyn brought as well as some homemade hummus and fresh veggies.
015.jpg

My plate. A little bit of everything and the biggest rib of the bunch.
016.jpg

Close up to show how juicy these things are. So tender.
017.jpg

I'll take this for a well cooked rib
018.jpg

Y'all aren't going to believe this but after dinner we actually got some rain for the first time in longer than I can remember. Only lasted about 30 minutes but it was enough that I don't need to water the plants today :emoji_laughing:
019.jpg

020.jpg

All in all a successful cook, even if it did wrap up sooner than I thought it would. I just let things sit and about 30 minutes before we were ready to eat I fired the smoker back up to reheat the ribs. Once again, as hot as it's been we just wanted some cool elements to go with the ribs so everything was planned that way. Lots of cool, fresh side dishes and a few happy campers. These monster ribs are just hard to beat and thankfully, I have more in the freezer, which is a good thing because these have become Tracy's most requested weekend BBQ.

Well, gotta go get breakfast going. Y'all take care and have a great Sunday.

Robert

I could make a meal off the corn and pasta salads. Looks darn good. And those ribs….just icing on that beautiful meal.
Jim

Another great cook there Robert! Those ribs look phenomenal, I’m sure you know where I’m going with this. If that was my house I think we would have just ate them right off the board. They would have never made it to the table. Great looking spread, your friends are very lucky!
Al

Dang Robert! Those ribs are gorgeous.
Excellent spread all the way around with the cold sides too.

Stu

Wow another great meal and shared with friends. And rain ! Sounds like a great day Robert !

Keith

Dino beef ribs are my favorite meat to smoke and eat. Over the fence and out of the park Robert, you nailed that cook, nice work! RAY

Love those ribs! Cool salads are always tasty when it's hot!

Ryan

Executed with perfection Robert! I've got a double set of 4 bones in the freezer just waiting to find their way to the smoker. Doubt I can match your gorgeous looking ribs but gonna give it a go and see.

Heck YEAH!! Robert, I really like how those look, very nice indeed. Those fresh veggies in that plated pic appear to looking at that rib and smiling, probably thinking, "You won't last long, haha." :emoji_laughing:

Anyway, the last ones I smoked were done in about 6 hours and I had allowed 8 then, too. Better to be early than have a bunch of hungry folks looking at me and wondering if they'll ever get to eat and my wife asking, "How much longer?"

Just looks so delicious Robert. That time with friends is special for sure. Nice keeping connected and a super cook. I really like that cooker you made. Makes some darn good looking grub.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky