1st Time Smokers - Best Wings we've ever had!

Discussion in 'Grilling Chicken' started by mikendonna, Aug 6, 2011.

1. I bought my husband a Brinkmann Vertical Gas Smoker for his birthday and we just tried it for the first time. We are both so happy with the results that i figured i would share the recipe here. These are hands down the best wings we've ever eaten!

Wood: Hickory & Mesquite

Water: Water & 1 cup orange juice

Dry Rub - Buffalo Dry rub purchased from Buffalo Wild Wings

Coated the wings with the dry rub and refridgerated over night.

Preheated the smoker to 250 Degrees

Right before put the wings on the racks i shook some salt, pepper and buffalo rub over the tops of the wings

We smoked them for approx 1 hour until they reached the proper temperature and then put them down on a 400 degree grill for about 3 mins on each side just to crisp up the skin.

We're both just sitting here in a food coma talking about how amazingly delicious these wings were. We can't believe how well we did on our very first try. 

2. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Sounds good, I didn't realize BWW sold rub. Just might have to stop by there. 

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

The wings sound great, but we have a saying here.

[​IMG]

But since your new we''ll give you a pass this time.   [​IMG]

4. I just uploaded a picture but it said "because you are new here, your picture is being held for moderation" we'll see when it shows up :)

5. ecto1

ecto1 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

I think smoked wings are very underrated.  That being said..[​IMG]

6. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great job it looks yummy [​IMG]

7. They look good! I never had BWW's dry rub, only their sauce.

8. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks excellent!

Great job!

9. Delicious looking wings.  My first question is, does adding OJ to the water pan make a difference?  I'm so new to this, and my smoker is being snowed on as we speak.

10. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice looking wings!  [​IMG]

Next time you do them don't be afraid to run your smoker at 325* Chicken takes on smoke fast so the higher temp will get you a crisper skin without having to hit the grill. Also try it without liquid in the pan. If you really want to take your wings to the next level inject them, then put your rub on them:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/119306/scarbelly-wings-buffalo-style

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  11. Yes I think the OJ makes a difference, just infuses a different flavor. We've done vinegar, oj, apple juice, and bourbon. Just experiment until you find your favorite.

12. Yeah, those came out looking really good.  I always expirment with different flavors in the water pan.  Lately I have been using some pineapple juice.

13. I didn't know Buffalo Wild Wings sold rubs either. I picked up some Buffalo rub and the rubbed wings smell pretty good. Going to smoke them tonight. I have made wings several times but have never tried crisping them after smoking. I don't have a deep fryer and my smoker only goes to 275 degrees max. I'm thinking about trying to crisp them on the grill also. Is that the best way?