18 lb. Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chall213

Original poster
Feb 11, 2016
Hi guys,

This is my first post, but have been learning tons of info on smoking for about 2 months now. I have smoked one brisket before (12 lb packer), but found a great deal at Kroger on this monster and couldn't resist. I have a 40" MES. My question is do I try to smoke the whole thing (might fit but its going to be tight or do I cut it half (point and flat)? If I do, how does this effect the timing? I know a lot of the vets on here say its all about the IT of the brisket, but just trying to game plan as this is for my sons bday party and want to make sure it ready to be served by 4-5 pm this Saturday.

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated!!

chall213

I smoked a 17 pound in my 40 last year whole. Separated it at 160 and made burnt ends with the point. Came out great.

Just bought 3 more monster briskets last week to. 14, 15, and 17 pounders. $2.99 a pound prime grade briskets. Can't beat that! I've never seen them that cheap.

Good luck

Separating it is not going to make a huge difference in the cook time. Take the biggest piece & weigh it. Then figure 2 hours per pound.

Here's one I did a few years ago.

The only difference I do now is I smoke the flat in a pan with a can of French onion soup, sitting in it's own juices.

I think it makes it much juicier.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/105041/weekend-brisket-burnt-ends-qview-galore

Hope this helps,

Al

Last edited:
Hey Al,

Is putting the flat in a pan with some sort of liquid going to effect the bark I get on it? Also, how much liquid are you putting in there? I'm guessing maybe just enough to cove the bottom of the pan?

About two weeks ago I cooked a 14lb brisket at 250 for 14 hours and it came out absolutely amazing.  I did mine in a foil pan and mopped it for the first 7 hours.  The pan will effect the bark but the juices keep it nice and moist.  I covered it for the last two hours and cut off the smoke.  I'd rather have it nice and juicy than worry about looks with the bark.  No one's going to notice that when it's cut up.  As an added bonus, I drape bacon over the top of my briskets.  Even after 14 hours the bacon was amazing.

Chad

Thanks Chad...I certainly will consider putting the flat in a pan...def don't want dry brisket!!

Separating it is not going to make a huge difference in the cook time. Take the biggest piece & weigh it. Then figure 2 hours per pound.
Here's one I did a few years ago.
The only difference I do now is I smoke the flat in a pan with a can of French onion soup, sitting in it's own juices.
I think it makes it much juicier.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/105041/weekend-brisket-burnt-ends-qview-galore

Hope this helps,

Al
Al, my question is this, if I don't seperate do I measure the temp. of the flat to determine "doneness" assuming the point will take longer. If that is the case, so I let the whole thing rest in the cooler than seperate and turn the point into burnt ends or seperate before resting in the cooler? I hope what I'm asking makes sense. Thanks for the help.

I've only done a few packers to this point but this is what's worked for me. Separate at 160. Turn point into burnt ends and take flat to desired temp or tooth pick tender.

I have 4 more packers to try this summer sitting in my freezers. I plan on doing all of them the same way. A point is made for burnt ends. Not a better bite in bbq. And this is coming from a pork guy.

Al, my question is this, if I don't seperate do I measure the temp. of the flat to determine "doneness" assuming the point will take longer. If that is the case, so I let the whole thing rest in the cooler than seperate and turn the point into burnt ends or seperate before resting in the cooler? I hope what I'm asking makes sense. Thanks for the help.
Take the temp of the point.

When it hits 170-175, separate the two & and continue cooking the flat until done & make burnt ends with the point.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky