• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

17lb Briskets

MeltedHand

Joined Nov 14, 2020
So guys I've seen this answered a bunch on here but I'm doing 2 17 lb monsters this weekend in the DynaGlo. Im pretty excited as I just did one a couple days ago that people were very happy with. I noticed it was rather dry though. I went to 190 IT then it started losing temp? Idk what happened but I made a judgment call and it came out okay in the end. So I'm looking to be done by 7pm and starting at 2am with a grate temp of 250-270F. Does this sound correct? I'm not trying to go hot and fast but I know I have to pump the heat to get things done. Picture is of the one from a couple days ago I started at 6am finished at 730pm with grate temps around 225-250
FB_IMG_1607525531502.jpg
FB_IMG_1607525537878.jpg
FB_IMG_1607525531502.jpg

phatbac

Master of the Pit
Joined Jun 11, 2013
Good looking Que! Look at the smoke ring too! Like for sure!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

FFchampMT

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 2, 2020
I think each brisket has its own timing. I cooked 2 @ 17lbs on my WSM a few weeks ago, 250 grate temp (measured with a Signals controller), with a 30-40 degree ambient temp, in about 15 hours.
I always err on the side of caution and try and factor in 1/hr/lb + 3 hours. Briskets are astonishingly easy to hold for half a day, and exceedingly hard to speed up to feed guests. I think your timing is good.

Edit to add: I'm also convinced there's a baby stall at 190 when cooking 225-250. It happens to me a lot even with prime packers.

Last edited:

MeltedHand

Joined Nov 14, 2020
I think each brisket has its own timing. I cooked 2 @ 17lbs on my WSM a few weeks ago, 250 grate temp (measured with a Signals controller), with a 30-40 degree ambient temp, in about 15 hours.
I always err on the side of caution and try and factor in 1/hr/lb + 3 hours. Briskets are astonishingly easy to hold for half a day, and exceedingly hard to speed up to feed guests. I think your timing is good.

Edit to add: I'm also convinced there's a baby stall at 190 when cooking 225-250. It happens to me a lot even with prime packers.
I appreciate the response. Yeah I think worse come to worse I'm gonna double wrap in aluminum foil around 12-2pm I'm certain ill be full stall around then. Sadly I live in a place that does not get USDA often so I have to try other countries like Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Brazil. Luckily South Africa is the picture above and it came out quite decent. And they have a Wagyu one that I'm gonna test this weekend! For about $60 I think is the translated cost. Ironically the Australian Grainfed was more expensive at about $75 i think. But these are sadly the prices I pay haha. Im thinking the Wagyu will turn out better.
And I totally agree with you about a small hold at 190. I've been noticing it but hopefully I can make it to 205. I still want slices but unbelievable tender haha

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
That brisket sure looks good to me!
Good luck this weekend with the Wagyu!
Al

MeltedHand

Joined Nov 14, 2020
So I dont have photos BUT...the Wagyu came out pure magic! And surprisingly in about 14 hours I think with a wrap. The other one was dry sadly but ultimately I'd say it was a huge success. This is maybe my 3rd brisket and to take on such a big one and nail it decently I'm super happy

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.