direct bbq on summit kamado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HJB

Original poster
Jan 6, 2024
i'm looking to simulate drum smoking on a summit kamado. i.e. direct heat, no baffle and get meat as high up as possible. Wondering also if there is a way to move the lower coal grate lower or not even use it at all. maybe a smaller diameter grate that sits like 1" above the propellers? first thing I'll try is just to get as low a smoking temp as possible with no diffuser.

Then maybe a hanging rack or if possible a hanging rack on top of a grate extender.

Reactions: JLeonard
Candy Crush said: i'm looking to simulate drum smoking on a summit kamado. i.e. direct heat, no baffle and get meat as high up as possible. Wondering also if there is a way to move the lower coal grate lower or not even use it at all. maybe a smaller diameter grate that sits like 1" above the propellers? first thing I'll try is just to get as low a smoking temp as possible with no diffuser.

Then maybe a hanging rack or if possible a hanging rack on top of a grate extender.
To simulate drum smoking, you can place the charcoal directly on the charcoal grate without using a deflector plate or baffle. This setup allows for direct radiant heat and smoke to surround the meat.

Last edited:
that's pretty much what i've been doing, and enjoying best performance with the summit. I'm wondering if there would be much of difference between this method, say about 225/250f lid temps with grate about 10" above coal bed vs something like a drum or chud/hasty bake roughneck where grates are ~22" above coal bed - where i'm assuming you're running hotter coals but similar lid/grate temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky