15lb A5 Packer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
So I’m gonna ask this cause I just need to hear some of the experts opinions. I know the real answer is that there is no good answer but I’ll ask anyway, for the second time this year. I have an A5 packer From Kagoshima in the deep freezer that I’ve had since July last year. I was gonna cook it this Spring but, well 2020 being the dumpster fire that it is happened. So once again I’ll ask, and Chef JJ if you’re out there would like to hear your opinion. a little more data - it was butchered and sent over here frozen not too long before the July 2019 purchase.
1. Keep it frozen until next year, or
2. smoke it, eat as much as we can, and give the rest out.

How did the first one come out? If on the same page, I seem tp remember being curious if an A5 Brisket can be eaten med/rare? Did you try it? Although not optimum, Refreezing beef once does not have a major impact on quality. I would only thaw to the point the Beef can be cut. A Meat Saw or new Hack Saw, would allow cutting while mostly frozen. Cook the Thickest portion and Re-freeze the thinnest piece, since it will freeze fast and result in less ice crystal damage...JJ

How did the first one come out? If on the same page, I seem tp remember being curious if an A5 Brisket can be eaten med/rare? Did you try it? Although not optimum, Refreezing beef once does not have a major impact on quality. I would only thaw to the point the Beef can be cut. A Meat Saw or new Hack Saw, would allow cutting while mostly frozen. Cook the Thickest portion and Re-freeze the thinnest piece, since it will freeze fast and result in less ice crystal damage...JJ
This is still the same one! I’m about to move to Canada so I can cook the damn thing and enjoy it with the 15 people I need to eat it. I will say I’m pretty stuck on smoking it whole and not slicing it up and cooking in slices like you might see in Japan. However, cutting into 2 halves might not be a bad idea.

First off I'll admit I'm not an expert, and especially on briskets. Don't even know what an A5 brisket is. But recently a friend of mine and I got to talking about making beef bacon so thought we'd give it a try. He cut the flat off and cured for bacon and smoked the point to medium rare...said it turned out excellent. I finally got mine done and was gonna have some tonight but time got away from us so hopefully tomorrow...will say fry test before smoking was quite tasty. So many uses for extra brisket, chili, tacos, sammies...and I'm sure I'm forgetting other options. Just the wife and I but we started with a 16 lb brisket.

20200801_231546.jpg

Can't wait to try it!

Ryan

Never had waygu brisket. Not an expert but I’d cook it all before you leave and have a good night with friends before your move.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky