Issue at COSTCO today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Costco has always had a no gun policy. You agreed to it when you signed up for your membership.

Thanks for posting this link, Chris. I was unaware of Costco being so anti 2A. I have no idea how many times I've carried while shopping at Costco, never been a problem but would really hate to be singled out like OP was. Well, now I know.

Costco has always had a no gun policy. You agreed to it when you signed up for your membership.

I did not know that, but it does appear to be current policy based on the Costco website (the concealedcarry .com link is 5 years old, but the info still valid).
Thanks for pointing it out. I’m disappointed in Costco.

Well, I wanted to post an update here. Ended up speaking with the general manager who’s in charge of the entire Costco. He told me he was very sorry for the incident, and that it should’ve never happened. He said the person checking IDs to get in to Costco is not responsible for determining if someone has a concealed gun or not. Obviously, he said if they are open carrying he would say something to them since it is Costco‘s policy, not to allow all those in the store.

He said the doorman went about it the wrong way. He should’ve never raised his voice and asked if I had a firearm. He should’ve never asked period, suspicion or not. He’s said, you can’t think someone has something, you have to be 100% sure. And if something is concealed, you could never be 100% sure. That’s against their store policy. He even checked with the regional security Director for Costco and he said the same thing. Because of this, he said he is retraining his entire staff on how to interact with customers because of my situation. He thanked me for taking my time to report it to the manager and thanked me for talking to him this evening. He’s said without that, we would’ve never known, and this could happen to other people. He’s also said, we don’t want to make customers feel uneasy, we don’t want to single people out, and we don’t want to cause people anxiety. That’s not what we’re here for. We respect our members and that’s the last thing we want do is make them upset. He said I did the right thing and that the guy working the door was 100% in the wrong and is being counseled on the matter.

He said if there’s anything he could do for me and I said no, that was it, that’s all I was looking for. He said well I want to give you something and I said no, I’m not into taking things like that. I’m not asking for anything either. He said it would make him feel better to give me a gift card even if I wasn’t l asking because of the inconvenience and the embarrassment and because they were 100% in the wrong. So he is mailing me $100.

So I feel vindicated that I made the right decision to report it to management, kept pressing it to make sure that what he told me is going to happen with regards to the retraining, and that the man that spoke to me was wrong for doing it at all and wrong the way he did it. That they are retraining everybody and the guy I encountered should’ve never said anything to me. He also said the way I reacted would seem completely rational by lifting my shirt up immediately, because it was almost in a state of shock reaction. Especially being accused of carrying something such as a Gun which I didn’t have. He also said the guy should’ve never mentioned the word firearm because it could’ve created more chaos out in the open in front of a many people.

So there we have it folks. Appreciate everybody commenting and hopefully those that thought it was an overreaction, a wrong reaction, or that the guy was well within his rights to ask, can see all of that was not the case. For those who posted well wishes for me and my family and also posted their opinions, I very much appreciate it.

Well, I wanted to post an update here. Ended up speaking with the general manager who’s in charge of the entire Costco. He told me he was very sorry for the incident, and that it should’ve never happened. He said the person checking IDs to get in to Costco is not responsible for determining if someone has a concealed gun or not. Obviously, he said if they are open carrying he would say something to them since it is Costco‘s policy, not to allow all those in the store.

He said the doorman went about it the wrong way. He should’ve never raised his voice and asked if I had a firearm. He should’ve never asked period, suspicion or not. He’s said, you can’t think someone has something, you have to be 100% sure. And if something is concealed, you could never be 100% sure. That’s against their store policy. He even checked with the regional security Director for Costco and he said the same thing. Because of this, he said he is retraining his entire staff on how to interact with customers because of my situation. He thanked me for taking my time to report it to the manager and thanked me for talking to him this evening. He’s said without that, we would’ve never known, and this could happen to other people. He’s also said, we don’t want to make customers feel uneasy, we don’t want to single people out, and we don’t want to cause people anxiety. That’s not what we’re here for. We respect our members and that’s the last thing we want do is make them upset. He said I did the right thing and that the guy working the door was 100% in the wrong and is being counseled on the matter.

He said if there’s anything he could do for me and I said no, that was it, that’s all I was looking for. He said well I want to give you something and I said no, I’m not into taking things like that. I’m not asking for anything either. He said it would make him feel better to give me a gift card even if I wasn’t l asking because of the inconvenience and the embarrassment and because they were 100% in the wrong. So he is mailing me $100.

So I feel vindicated that I made the right decision to report it to management, kept pressing it to make sure that what he told me is going to happen with regards to the retraining, and that the man that spoke to me was wrong for doing it at all and wrong the way he did it. That they are retraining everybody and the guy I encountered should’ve never said anything to me. He also said the way I reacted would seem completely rational by lifting my shirt up immediately, because it was almost in a state of shock reaction. Especially being accused of carrying something such as a Gun which I didn’t have. He also said the guy should’ve never mentioned the word firearm because it could’ve created more chaos out in the open in front of a many people.

So there we have it folks. Appreciate everybody commenting and hopefully those that thought it was an overreaction, a wrong reaction, or that the guy was well within his rights to ask, can see all of that was not the case. For those who posted well wishes for me and my family and also posted their opinions, I very much appreciate it.
Excellent outcome and drop that $100 on some meat to smoke.

Reactions: nygiant
Seems like the Costco employee was just doing his job. I'm not clear what OP is so upset about.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky