12th Annual South Florida Gathering - December 1-3, 2023 - Pictures Added

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Our 12th (13th year) Gathering will be December 1-3, 2023 at Highland Hammock State Park (Sebring, FL) with the main day being Saturday the 2nd.

Sites & Attendees
Site 80 - Russ and Libby Mills (Friends of Doug's from the neighborhood)
Site 81 - Doug ( dougmays dougmays )
Site 82 - Jeramy (@jarjarchef )
Site 84 - @j-regn
Site 85 - carol506 carol506 & Jon
Site 87 - Mark ( Discus39 Discus39 )
Site 88 & 89 - Keith ( JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 )
Site 125 - fxsales1959 fxsales1959
Site 128 - John ( Fueling Around Fueling Around )
Site 135 - Robert (@Fife )

Events (all optional and not taken too seriously, all times below are open for change) :
- Welcome Weenie Roast
- Keiths famous ham and sides provided by others
- Family style Potluck, Saturday ~5-6pm
- Fun & Friendly Rib Competition on Saturday ~5pm (before it gets dark)
- Cocktail competition Saturday ~3pm
- Games and camaraderie all all the time, if you have a favorite game or activity please bring it (examples: Cornhole/BagToss, ring toss, horseshoes, etc.....)

Last edited:
I’m bringing a Couple packs of buns, onions, kraut, chili, weenies and a little wood.squiuit stuff needed. Also a pack of marshmallows
Squirt stwhat else will we need for the weenie cook? Buns squirt stuff etc? I had a little accident extricating th camper from the side of the house so will be doing some redneck corner fixing with a big F'n hammer/ caulk and flex tape this week.. Still fixin on arriving 3-ish. After campsite set up, can run to Winn Dick-me to help with accoutrements.

Reactions: fxsales1959
In case Keith can’t make it, how many are we expecting for Thursday night? We could have an old fashion weenie roast. I could provide John’s family’s secret “coney” chili recipe A couple different mustards and chopped onions.
Miranda and I will be arriving Thursday afternoon so we'll be there for the weenie roast. I'm also planning to bring my flattop (new toy) and my smoker trailer. Can i bring anything for Thursday night roast?
Thursday thru Sunday
Site #83
He finally confirms :emoji_laughing:

I plan on making some sides for Fri/Sat dinner but not sure what yet. I'll also be doing the rib comp satruday

How are we looking for paper/plastic products? I have a TON of plasticware i can bring.

Also, can we get a rough count on who's bringing tables that we can use for the gathering site for the potluck and other events? I'm down to 1 measly broken one so might have to buy a couple more.

Almost there!!

Miranda and I will be arriving Thursday afternoon so we'll be there for the weenie roast. I'm also planning to bring my flattop (new toy) and my smoker trailer. Can i bring anything for Thursday night roast?

He finally confirms :emoji_laughing:

I plan on making some sides for Fri/Sat dinner but not sure what yet. I'll also be doing the rib comp satruday
S’mores makings. Firewood

How are we looking for paper/plastic products? I have a TON of plasticware i can bring.

Also, can we get a rough count on who's bringing tables that we can use for the gathering site for the potluck and other events? I'm down to 1 measly broken one so might have to buy a couple more.

Almost there!!
I only have one small table, which will have a 22" Blackstone on it. We're happy to go to wally world and help with any accoutrement stuff.

Almost there!!
I am bringing a package of probably 120 paper plates and a couple rolls of paper towels to use for wipes/napkins.

I kept my (non-camping) campsite to have for parking, etc. We can carry the table over to the gathering area.

what sites are the "event areas" and where's the boxing ring this year?

Boxing ring is near the bar...

88 is the Gathering site...
Here's a visual for you John
site.jpg

Gathering is around Keith's camper and the next open site and circled in red.
Boxing is circled in green when the better half decides you need your ears pinned back

• Haha
Can we skip the boxing event this year? Or at least hold it during daylight hours😵‍💫
No boxing .....lets not scare away the new people 🤣

Sounds like we'll have some eat-ware and tables. i'm going to snag a table at Tractor Supply, they had the best price. Those suckers have really gone up in price of the last few years 🤯

Sides: are going to figure that out when we get there? Always seem to be tons of pasta stuff.
I'm gonna whip up a batch of Queso since we have a crock in he camper.

Queso sounds good!

So from reading all the posts and talking to others on the side, this is roughly what our menus look like
Thursday - Carol and Jon are hosting a weenie roast for dinner (let any of us know if you need help picking up stuff for that. I'm assuming people will take care of their own lunch time meals since some will be traveling and arriving at all times of the day
Friday - I'm going to smoke up some chicken thighs and i was thinking of doing fried rice on my flat top. Others are welcome to make other stuff.
Saturday - Pot luck dinner and in the past we dont necessarily have a "lunch" plan because everyone is cooking up a storm and food just kind of comes out throughout the day :)

I'm not a huge breakfast person so i dont personally plan on making or eat breakfast foods but i can grab some eggs and bacon if we need some.

I'm planning to make Ribs and Smoked Green Beans for Saturday. I'm also going to cook up some Pig Shots for a snack either Friday or Saturday. Still thinking of other ideas.....

Never really got a head count, think 9.. bringing 2 packs of buns, weenies, mustard, ketchup,, onions,chili, and relish. If we need more Winn Dixie nearby.. Splatchcock chicken Friday

It is with GREAT SADNESS that I have to make this post...

Charlotte is in the hospital... But on her way to recovering,. They dignosted her with AFIB...

So with that it's sad to say we won't be attending this year... This will be the first Gathering that we have missed...

I have spoke with Doug dougmays dougmays and Mark Discus39 Discus39 and have arranged to keep the sites..

So with that let me wish you all with a great time and great food...

Somebody else will have to step up and cook something for Fri. night...

Charlotte is in the hospital... But on her way to recovering,. They dignosted her with AFIB...

So with that it's sad to say we won't be attending this year... This will be the first Gathering that we have missed...

I have spoke with Doug dougmays dougmays and Mark Discus39 Discus39 and have arranged to keep the sites..

Somebody else will have to step up and cook something for Fri. night...
Our thoughts are with Charlotte.. I’m planning splarchcoc

Somebody else will have to step up and cook something for Fri. nigh

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky