1” Boneless Pork Chops cooked too long?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

baseballguy99

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Red Bud, IL
I put 3-1” thick boneless pork chops in last night at about 7:30 at 145*. My intentions were to pull them out before my wife and I went too bed, shock cool them, and then bread and fry them this evening. Well we fell asleep and I forgot about them. Pulled them out about 8am this morning. I know they would be safe to eat, but what kind of texture can I expect? Has anyone else had this mishap?

I would cut one and find out for sure - but I would think they would be dried out.

On the bright side, at least it was pork chops and not filet mignon...

I would think on the dry side . Have some bbq sauce slaw and buns , or taco seasoning and tortillas on hand in case you need to adjust . Either way let us know . Might be the best pork chop ever .

Reactions: zwiller
If they are still bagged and cooled quickly you have 28 days to eat them, being pasteurized in that bag for that temp/duration. Chop/slice and make tacos/fajitas if too soft or take a bite out of one and figure out if you want to proceed as you intended. It's not a loss but maybe something different. Compare them to the next three chops.

YES, let us know! I want to try running some loin a lot longer than I have as the shorter cooks have not impressed. You might be onto something. Some of the best things come from mistakes...

Hmmm all these saying they be dried out. Probably not. I’ve held a pork loin for 12 hours at 145 and it was fine.
Restaurants will hold pork chops for 8-12 hours at temp and then sear off. Usually at a bit lower temp though.
I bet you’ll be fine. Bread them quickly fry them eat them.
Report back on your results.

Reactions: Haggar and zwiller
I know that wouldn't hurt if it was on piece about 3" thick, so I doubt if it would hurt anything with 3 pieces @ 1" thick each.

Enjoy, and let us know,
Bear

We just finished up supper (sorry no pics). I pulled them out of the fridge and patted dry. Dredged them in flour, egg/milk, and then in crushed corn flakes. Fried in oil for about 4 minutes per side until browned.

The texture was spot on, but a little on the dry side. So not a complete screw up. Next time I might try 8 hours just to experiment. Normally I go about 4 hours and they are still a little on the tough side but extremely juicy.

Agreed, thanks for the update. I think with longer times brining is a factor in preserving the juiciness. Not sure if you hit them with some salt before the bath.

Interesting!
I would have thought the longer time would made them more tender. However i would have SV’d them at 132, not 145.
Al

Al, they were very tender just a little on the dry side. If i were to let them go for 12+ hours again (on purpose this time) I would lower the temp to see if that helped on the juiciness.

Update. Wife wanted pork chops again Tuesday for supper. So I thought that would be a great time to experiment. 4-1" thick boneless pork chops seasoned with salt and pepper went into a 135* sous vide bath overnight. Approximately 9 hours. Ice bathed them for 30 minutes and then into the fridge until supper. Dredged in flour, then egg/milk bath, then into corn flakes. Then into hot oil in the CI skillet. Let them go until the corn flakes are brown/crispy.

These pork chops were perfection! Perfectly moist and tender with a good crunch from the corn flakes. I think this will be my go-to time/temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky