YO DUTCH/BUTCHER GURU

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

larry maddock

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 27, 2005
BOURBON,MISSOURI
YO Y'ALL,
i have been seeing 10 lb boxes [frozen] of RIBLETS.
they say that APPLEBEES serves them.

could you enlighten me with info about these ???

where are they on hog??
whats size of cut??

as usual dutch,
im awaiting a piece of your knowledge and work experience.

around these parts its free.
but i know you had to work hard for it.
and i thank you!!

aint this place great.!!!

Hey larry,

If its the same thing they are selling around here, it's like the "meat" in a McRib at McDonalds. Some kind of pork formed up to look like little racks of ribs.

Larry, Riblets is another term for Rib tips. Sometimes the rib cartilage is stripped out to make a 'boneless' riblet.
In the case of McD's 'riblets', it is a ground pork product that has been pressed into a mold to make it look like 'boneless ribs'.

When I smoke rib tips, I cut through just the cartilage about every two inches while leaving the meat intact. I apply my rub and smoke them like I do the Kansas City or St. Louis style spare ribs (3-2-1 Method).

Larry,
Depending on what you bought or saw, this can be a wide range of items.

Generally when I have processed pork in retail, we called the riblets a crosscut of ribs either from a pork loin that was out of spec or we sliced sheet ribs on a band saw across the bones into about 1 inch slices. You can also have baby back, st louis, beef short ribs or even beef back ribs cut his way. Personally, its a lot of work for the minimal amount of meat after cooking/smoking.

T

The riblets that Applebee's serve, I believe are taken from the backbone, below the ribcage (towards the rear of the pig) or in the neck. On each side of the spine there is a small, round, flat bone with a little meat on it.

I don't know how much they cost but I would much rather eat "real" ribs. I've had the all-you-can-stand err... I mean eat riblets at Applebee's and wasn't impressed with the cut of meat nor the way they cooked them.

yo all y'all
i was told yesterday that the boxes in this area are from the neck....

i guess sooner or later, i should get a camera ,
to post pictures along with some of my questions.

these riblets are about3 inches tall.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky